Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomaszpalasz
Frequent Visitor

Sharing content to external consumers who do not use PBI at all.

Hello!

What I want to achieve is to share content created in PBI with external consumers, avoiding 'Publish to web' function. I would like the one specified external user, who does not use PBI at all, to see and interact with the report. 

Can I publish the report not to the web but to specific page/application for example set up on my Azure server with password protection? 

Can the external user, who does not use PBI at all, see and interact with the report when he/she accesses this password protected page (just like everyone can see it when published to the web)? Or will he/she see the notification that at least PBI free is mandatory? 

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @tomaszpalasz

Can I publish the report not to the web but to specific page/application for example set up on my Azure server with password protection? 

I'm afraid this may not be achieved, and if someone finds your source address, they will still see it. That's not safe.

You could have a consider of Power BI embed for customers.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tomaszpalasz, I have asked a similar question here, although I was more after the editing option. From my experience researching on this, if you use the simple share report with external user from powerbi service, then the external user needs to have a power bi pro account in their own tennant. 

Or as mentioned earlier, use Power BI embedded. 

Depending on the data sources, you could also send the customer the pbix file?

-Luiza

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tomaszpalasz
Frequent Visitor

I know there is the simplest solution for sharing content to external consumers who do not use PBI at all - 'Publish to web' option. But what I would like to achieve is to have this content more secure, not visible for random people. 

I know that I could embed my report on password secured website or application, for example, set up on Azure. But if I share the password to this website/application with the external consumer will he be able to see and interact with the report even if he does not use PowerBI at all? The same like with publishing to the web?

Thank you in advance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tomaszpalasz, I have asked a similar question here, although I was more after the editing option. From my experience researching on this, if you use the simple share report with external user from powerbi service, then the external user needs to have a power bi pro account in their own tennant. 

Or as mentioned earlier, use Power BI embedded. 

Depending on the data sources, you could also send the customer the pbix file?

-Luiza

Thank you for your support!

Just to be clear and 100% sure - besides "publish to web" option, there is no other free-of-charge way to share PowerBI content with external users who do not have any PowerBI license? 

There is PowerBI Embedded with dedicated capacity or PowerBI Premium capacity - but those options have their specified prices, except of standard PowerBI Pro license. 

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @tomaszpalasz

I'm afraid this may not be achieved, and if someone finds your source address, they will still see it. That's not safe.

You could have a consider of Power BI embed for customers.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors