Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shalin
Frequent Visitor

Sharing best practice with security controls

Hi All, 

I'm about to roll out Power BI reports that we have created to my company of about 100 people. The main issue we have is that we want to share a certain report with one subset of users, and another report with another subset. A certain staff member might fall into both subsets, so can see both reports. Another staff member might only be in one. Another staff member might be in neither. 

This is then extrapolated out to about 50-100 reports, with many different subsets (I am trying to minimise the number of subsets, but fighting an uphill battle) and about 100 users.

What is the best way to do this? So that a certain user can see all of the reports they need to do their job, but can't see other ones. And at the same time minimising the level of admin and upkeep of the users?

My current plan was to make many different dashboards, eg. Procurement 1, Procurement 2, Procurement 3. If you have "Level 3 access" you can see all three, otherwise you only see 2, or 1 etc. However, that seems messy and and a difficult way to maintain.

Ideally, I would want all of the reports in the same place (easiest to manage from the BI side) and then you can only see the reports that you have access to (which would be fairly simple to manage from a security side. Set up once and then edit on going). Don't know if that is possible though?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Shalin,

Since you have a large number of reports, I would suggest you create several App workspaces. Please also create an idea here.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Shalin,

Since you have a large number of reports, I would suggest you create several App workspaces. Please also create an idea here.

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale. Follow up question if that's ok:

I've created an App Workspace. Within that workspace there are multiple reports and multiple dashboards.

Is it possible to share the entire workspace to Read Only Users? Or is the App workspace for the people who are creating and editing reports, and the dashboards/reports are then shared with the read only users?

Hi @Shalin,

The App workspace has read-only members and also the upcoming new feature of the new App workspace will have too. The only problem is the read-only member can see all the contents. 

It won't be a problem to publishing the App. The end users only have read permission and you can hide some contents before publishing. Please refer to service-create-distribute-apps.

>>>They can’t modify the contents of the app, but they can interact with it either in the Power BI service, or one of the mobile apps -– filtering, highlighting, and sorting the data themselves.

Best Regards,
Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors