Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

visoun

Sharing and drill down (data point table)

Hello Power BI community,

first of all, I would like to highlight that I'm Power BI newbie who has a question about Power BI Service. We've started using Power BI Online and as we're in regulated enviroment we identified one concern I haven't found a satisfying asnwer on.

Let's say that there si a person who creates a report in Power BI desktop and publish the content to Power BI Online. As a part of that report, creator aggregates multiple low-level data sources (mainly excels) into the generic visuals. So far so good, readers see just the aggregated data, not the sources ones (which might be sensitive). But if a reader will right click on visual and choose 'Data point table' option, he can see all the underlying (non-agregated) data which might be sensitive (e.g. can contain clients' names) etc. Is there any option how to prevent this 'Data point table' option is chosen by report readers (both on invidival report level as well as global Power BI settings)?

Thanks a lot for any answer!

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @visoun,

Maybe you can consider to enable RLS on your dataset and assign roles to users, then they can only view and export filtered records:
RLS with UserName() 

Notice: RLS only available on read permission users.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@visoun In the Desktop you can change the properties under Options > Options and Settings > Current File > Report Settings > Export data - you can choose to only have the users be able to export summarized data.

In the Service under Admin Portal > Tenant Settings > Export and sharing settings > Export data - you can disable this for the org or a group of users.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer,

I've tried to configure the tenant settings as you're referring to

1.PNG

but sadly users who report is shared with still have the ability to select 'Data point table'

2.PNG

and see the entire content (sharing sample Power BI data)

3.PNG

Am I doing anything wrong here?

Thank you!

@visoun Are you sharing the report itself, via dashboard or are you giving the end users access to the workspace where the report lives?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I share just the report itself.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors