Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing a report with a user and allowing them to download underlying data

So I want to share a report of mine with users because I don't want them to be able to edit the data, but I want them to be able to see and download the underlying data. 

From my understaning of the documentation, it seems like sharing a report will only allow the users the ability do anything in "Reader View" so they cannot download the underlying data. If I grant a user access to the app workspace, they will be able to edit the report and can download the underlying data. Is that accurate?

Is there anyway for me to achieve my goal without granting everyone full edit access by granting them access to the app workspace? Is there any way to customize roles?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

As tested, when an user in the App workspace has only view permission, he could export the underlying data even he can't edit the report.

7.png

6.png

Or you could share an App with enduser to let them export underlying data.

As tested, i can create an App workspace, then publish my report and dataset from power bi desktop to this App workspace in power bi service.

add users in this App workspace, and grant them "only view" permission, then publish the App to the the whole organization or some users.

Then as an enduser, he could go to "Get data"->"My organization Apps", get this App, then open the App, he could click on the "export data" function to export underlying data.

5.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

As tested, when an user in the App workspace has only view permission, he could export the underlying data even he can't edit the report.

7.png

6.png

Or you could share an App with enduser to let them export underlying data.

As tested, i can create an App workspace, then publish my report and dataset from power bi desktop to this App workspace in power bi service.

add users in this App workspace, and grant them "only view" permission, then publish the App to the the whole organization or some users.

Then as an enduser, he could go to "Get data"->"My organization Apps", get this App, then open the App, he could click on the "export data" function to export underlying data.

5.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie (@v-juanli-msft), This was helpful and it was good to see that I can create read-only users in both an app and an app workspace. If I only have one report and one associated dataset, and I just want all my users the ability to read and download the data. 

Does it make more sense to create an app workspace or an app?

Hi @Anonymous

In this case, i would suggest you to create an App, then publish this App to the organization so that all your users have access to this App.

If you create an App workplace, then add users as members of this workspace, it may take more steps and time.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors