Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RandyRitter
Regular Visitor

Sharing a report for refresh

Is there a way to share a report to another user to allow them to perform a "Refresh Now" on a report data set?

7 REPLIES 7
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@RandyRitter This functionality can be achieved by creating a Group and providing admin rights to the users.

I set up a group.  Is there a way to publish to a group?  I couldn't find one so I ended up publishing to my workspace then I created a Content Pack and added the group to it.  The users I added to the group were given Admin permissions. None of them, not even the report owner were able to refresh the report from the group.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

@RandyRitter Groups are for "Teams", or several people that should all have the ability to modify/refresh any report or dashboard. They aren't really designed for end user sharing.

In your scenerio, if the individuals should have full control, then create a group, and add the users as @ashishrj mentions.

If not, then "no" there is no current way in which an end user can initiate a refresh on a dataset that is owned by someone else and requires it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the clarification regarding the intent for the groups.  That makes sense.

However, I've not ruled it out as a possible solution for my situation.  From your comments, it sounds like a user in a group with admin privileges should be able to refresh the report.  Unfortunately, I am not seeing that.  As I described in my earlier post.

So my question is, what did I do wrong?  Is the content pack the wrong method for getting the report into the group?

Thanks!

@RandyRitter Let me clarify a couple things after re-reading this.

1) You can't refresh a report, you refresh a dataset which in turn updates any reports tied to it

2) The only way in order to accomplish multiple people being able to "refresh now" or schedule a refresh, is for all members to be in a group and have admin rights.

3) Get rid of your content pack in the group, you are still the only owner that can refresh in this scenerio

4) You wil lhave to pull the dataset and reports into the group via "Get Data" and everyone in the group with admin rights can refresh/modify the objects within the group.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I have a data group. One of the members created and uploaded a dataset via pbix file created in the desktop version. After she uploaded it, I went to the one drive file, opened it, refreshed the data, saved it to my computer, dropped it back into one drive, and circumspectly refreshed the dataset. Of course, she can click refresh on any file within the group as a means to refresh as well.

Is it a pbix file? Do you have a group one drive where the file can be dropped? Does the member of the group trying to do a refresh have access to the original data source?

Clarification - she has admin rights but other members are read only.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I guess it is more the question of your architecture than of the respective mode of sharing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors