Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Sharing a dataset but NOT allowing anyone to edit it?

I would like to create a dataset and share it, however, I need to ensure the report creators can NOT edit the dataset or adjust SQL behind it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

I looked at the dataset option linked, however, it appears people can still edit them?

The idea here is to setup hard coded WHERE conditions in the TSQL so that the departments/users of the datasets are limited to their specific areas.

If I deploy a dataset, can I ensure that report authors cannot change it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@OneWithQuestion ,

I'm afraid currently there're no such kind of roles in workspace. As a workaround, you can publish your app and share it with other users, then the users be shared with can only view it.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@OneWithQuestion ,

You can create a new app workspace and assign users with roles like members or contributors.

Capability Admin Member Contributor
Update and delete the workspace. X    
Add/remove people, including other admins. X    
Add members or others with lower permissions. X X  
Publish and update an app. X X  
Share an item or share an app. X X  
Allow others to reshare items. X X  
Create, edit, and delete content in the workspace. X X X
Publish reports to the workspace, delete content. X X X

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

To clarify then, even at the lowest permission level (contributor) they would still be able to modify (edit) the data source and change the underlying queries, etc...?

@OneWithQuestion ,

I'm afraid currently there're no such kind of roles in workspace. As a workaround, you can publish your app and share it with other users, then the users be shared with can only view it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors