Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bernardoflynn
Frequent Visitor

Sharing a dashboard outside of the organization

I am trying to share a dashboard with a user outside of our org, i.e. he has a different domain than we do and its not a gmail,etc. domain.

I shared the dashboard on the website by entering his email address.

But when he tried to sign up for powerbi after getting the intro email, he got the attached error.

powerbi.png

Who's IT dept? His or mine?

We use Office365 to manage users in our domain and we've turned on AD Service in Azure so that we can add external users. Do I need to add his account as an external user? I think his company may also be an Office365 company.

I have to say the sharing + integration with Office365 + AzureAD stuff is super murky and super clunky. Needs attention MS 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bernardoflynn,

You don't need to add his account as an external user.

The above error could be because his organization has disabled individual sign ups(also known as ad-hoc subscriptions). The user can ask his administrator to enable ad-hoc subscriptions. The following steps demonstrate that how to enable ad-hoc subscriptions.

1. Sign into Azure Active Directory using Office 365 credential. The first line will prompt for credentials. The second line connects to Azure Active Directory.

$msolcred = get-credential
connect-msolservice -credential $msolcred

2. Once signed in, issue the following command to enable free sign ups.

Set-MsolCompanySettings -AllowAdHocSubscriptions $true

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-syndication-partner/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@bernardoflynn I don't believe you will have to add him to your Azure AD tenant. since you've successfully shared dashboard with them and they have received email containing link and having issues signing up it would be upto their IT to sort out that issue. I think he needs to refer to his IT and check O365 agreement. Depending on what level of O365 subscription their organisation has also depend on if they already have power bi or not. In any case it won't be your IT issue but theirs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@bernardoflynn I don't believe you will have to add him to your Azure AD tenant. since you've successfully shared dashboard with them and they have received email containing link and having issues signing up it would be upto their IT to sort out that issue. I think he needs to refer to his IT and check O365 agreement. Depending on what level of O365 subscription their organisation has also depend on if they already have power bi or not. In any case it won't be your IT issue but theirs.

Hi All,

I am having heaps of problems sharing the dashboard outside my organization. When I share a dashboard to external email id, the other user who opens the dashboard gets the below error. I am using power bi gateway and the other user is a Pro user. When the dashboard is opened they just can see the title of the dashboard, and the tile will come with a cross mark stating the data source cannot be reached. Any help on this will be appreciated

Capture.PNG

Cheers,

Anoop

@anoopcse

Can you make sure that the gateway is turned on?

Yes it is turned on

Hi All,

I am having heaps of problems sharing the dashboard outside my organization.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bernardoflynn,

You don't need to add his account as an external user.

The above error could be because his organization has disabled individual sign ups(also known as ad-hoc subscriptions). The user can ask his administrator to enable ad-hoc subscriptions. The following steps demonstrate that how to enable ad-hoc subscriptions.

1. Sign into Azure Active Directory using Office 365 credential. The first line will prompt for credentials. The second line connects to Azure Active Directory.

$msolcred = get-credential
connect-msolservice -credential $msolcred

2. Once signed in, issue the following command to enable free sign ups.

Set-MsolCompanySettings -AllowAdHocSubscriptions $true

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-syndication-partner/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors