Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

emmet63
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sharing, Workspaces, and Control

A client is deploying Power BI using individual Pro license model. They are concerned with data sprawl and wants to know if it is possible to:

1) Prevent people from sharing dashboards from their My Workspace. I do not believe it is possible.
2) Prevent people from creating Shared Workspaces. This was possible when they were O365 Groups, but now that they are Power BI Workspaces, I am not sure.

In the "don't shoot the messanger" space, I know these ideas can be considered counter to the goal of Power BI as a SSBI tool, but I did not have the actual answers to these questions.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@emmet63,

Firstly, it is not possible to prevent users from sharing dashboard from “My Workspace”, a similar thread about this issue has been submitted in this link you can vote it up and add your comments there.

Secondly, currently you can still prevent users from creating app workspace following the instructions in this blog: https://www.kasperonbi.com/disable-power-bi-workspace-or-group-creation-for-certain-users-or-groups/ .

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@emmet63,

Firstly, it is not possible to prevent users from sharing dashboard from “My Workspace”, a similar thread about this issue has been submitted in this link you can vote it up and add your comments there.

Secondly, currently you can still prevent users from creating app workspace following the instructions in this blog: https://www.kasperonbi.com/disable-power-bi-workspace-or-group-creation-for-certain-users-or-groups/ .

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @emmet63

For question 1, one limitation that you can put in place is for people to not share to others outside their organization.

You can also disable people from sigining up to the Power BI, so even if they did get something shared with them they would not be able to sign in.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/ability-to-disable-free-sign-ups-for-the-free-power-bi/

For question 2, there is an option under Admin, then Tenant settings where you can control who can publish content packs and apps for the organization. So this will enable the client to control who can create and publish Content packs and apps.

A-PBI Community.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of those features.
They would help, but don't quite give the control being requested.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors