Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Sharing Workspace Outside of Organization

Hi,

I have a client in a separate tenant that I want to add to a workspace in my tenant so that I don't have to individually share everything I create. So I created an app Workspace and then went to Access and added her email address as well as setting her permission level to Member. But when she signs into the Power BI service, the workspace I created doesn't show up on her list. 

I tried instead to create a classic workspace and add her to the group that was created, but it still doesn't show up on her list of workspaces.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Am I misunderstanding how workspaces are managed? I know I can share reports and dashboards individually, but what I want is for someone outside my organization to be able to log into the Power BI service and see the workspace from my tenant.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Sharing Workspace Outside of Organization

Hi there

here are details explaining how it works.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-portal#allow-external-guest-users-to-edit-an...

What happens is once you have set it up the actual user has to log into your tenant with the URL from your tenant. That will allow them to see the App Workspaces that they have got access to.

Unfortunately as of today once the PBIX is created, the user will have to go into the App Workspace and then click on Get Data, then select Files and manually upload the PBIX

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Sharing Workspace Outside of Organization

Hi there

here are details explaining how it works.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-portal#allow-external-guest-users-to-edit-an...

What happens is once you have set it up the actual user has to log into your tenant with the URL from your tenant. That will allow them to see the App Workspaces that they have got access to.

Unfortunately as of today once the PBIX is created, the user will have to go into the App Workspace and then click on Get Data, then select Files and manually upload the PBIX

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors