Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sharing Report With External Company

Hi,

1) If I have a Power BI Pro license, can I share a report with an external user who has not Power BI Pro? What if his company has Power Bi Premium Workspaces.

2) If I purchase Power BI premium per User, can I share a report with an external user without license? Again his company has some Power BI premium workspaces..

Many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You would need to add them as Guest user in your Azure AD B2B , in case of a pro they can either have their own license or you need to allocate them from your tenant. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

in cas eyou wish to allow guests to contribute content you may need to share tenant specific URL

View solution in original post

Hi @campelliann ,

Yes, there is a solution for this scenario. Firstly, you need become a guest user of that organization. You could become a guest user by invitations. For more details, please take a look at this document: Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Then, you need be added to the Premium workspace as a Contributor or Member or Admin role. Only these kinds of roles can perform publish or edit operations in this workspace. You could refer this official(Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs) to learn the permission scope of these roles.

Last but not the least, Global admin or Power BI service admin of this organization must enable allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization setting in Tenant settings of Admin Portal. For more details, you could refer to this official blog: Azure AD B2B Guest users can now edit and manage content in Power BI to collaborate better across or....

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @campelliann ,

As the recipients of your reports, they need Power BI Pro or Premium Per User license no matter they are internal users or external users of your organization. But if your reports are published to a workspace assigned in Premium license capacity, viewer with Free license can view the report without Pro or PPU license.

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Hi there, many thanks for your answer.

I work as a consultant for a Bank. The Bank has some Power BI Pro Users, and also has Premium Workspaces.
I am a PRO user. 

Is there a solution where I could contribute to their Premium workspace (if they add me or something) in order to share my report to free users?

Hi @campelliann ,

Yes, there is a solution for this scenario. Firstly, you need become a guest user of that organization. You could become a guest user by invitations. For more details, please take a look at this document: Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Then, you need be added to the Premium workspace as a Contributor or Member or Admin role. Only these kinds of roles can perform publish or edit operations in this workspace. You could refer this official(Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs) to learn the permission scope of these roles.

Last but not the least, Global admin or Power BI service admin of this organization must enable allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization setting in Tenant settings of Admin Portal. For more details, you could refer to this official blog: Azure AD B2B Guest users can now edit and manage content in Power BI to collaborate better across or....

Best Regards,

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You would need to add them as Guest user in your Azure AD B2B , in case of a pro they can either have their own license or you need to allocate them from your tenant. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

in cas eyou wish to allow guests to contribute content you may need to share tenant specific URL

Hi there, but is there a way to share the report with a free external user - me being PRO (without publishing to web).

Hi! Not unless the user is allocated at least a trial-pro , Or if you have a premium , maybe u can hand over the pbix itself! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors