Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Fraze
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing Report Using 'Manage Roles' Created on PowerBI Desktop

Hello,

I have a report that I created on PowerBI Desktop and Published to my Premium Workspace. As part of this exercise, I created a variety of 'Roles' to ensure that only executives can see all locations, while location specific individuals can only see data for their specific location. Everything is working on the Desktop, but how to I share from my Workspace those specific roles? For example ABC@gmail.com should have Role 'Master Access' and XYZ@gmail.com should have Role 'Location #1'. 

Fraze_0-1611013939450.png

Thanks,

Frazer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. yes. It also gets old very quickly in terms of maintenance. Don't add users to these roles, add distribution lists.

2. No, that is independent.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

(3) Add distribution lists to specific roles

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. yes. It also gets old very quickly in terms of maintenance. Don't add users to these roles, add distribution lists.

2. No, that is independent.

@lbendlin Thanks for the information, extremely helpful. Just to clarify, this is the approach:

(1) Create roles on PowerBI Desktop

(2) Publish to Workspace

(3) Add individuals to specific Roles under security option in dataset

(4) Share Dashboard by making same individuals as security Roles, 'Viewers'

If that is the case, I think I have got it. Regarding the distribution lists, where would I go to find information on how to best do that?

Thanks

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

in the dataset's settings assign users to the roles you created.

Thanks. Quick follow up

(1) Doing that will then dictate what they see when they open the dashboard?

(2) Do you first need to add someone as a viewer on the dashboard before you can change any setting on the dataset for them?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors