Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andyring
Frequent Visitor

Sharing Presentation

Hey,

I have made a report on the PowerBI desktop app and have that report saved as a pbix file on a folder on my computer. In this folder is also the excel files that I have been using to create this presentation. I am wondering if it is possible to send this folder to someone, with the pbix file and excel file, and have them be able to not only open the presentation, but also be able to make changes on the excel file and hit refresh on the desktop to update the presentation.

I am wondering this because I have tried to move the pbix and excel file attached to the presentation to a different folder on my computer, and hit refresh to get the updated data, but it doesn't work. I get an error because the path is different.

Furthermore, would the data gateway be an option? If so, could you elaborate on the gateway? Would I need the gateway to be set up on the same computer that the pbix was created? If I end up leaving, and having my company computer shutdown, how would a colleague be able to update the excel file and refresh the pbix file? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have made a report on the PowerBI desktop app and have that report saved as a pbix file on a folder on my computer. In this folder is also the excel files that I have been using to create this presentation. I am wondering if it is possible to send this folder to someone, with the pbix file and excel file, and have them be able to not only open the presentation, but also be able to make changes on the excel file and hit refresh on the desktop to update the presentation.

The easiest way to do this is probably to use parameters for the file path. Then when you pass the file over the end user would be prompted with entering the begining path which would match their local file location. This requires you to get used to the advanced editor and updating the M code to reference the parameter, but there is alot of documentation out there to help. Alternatively, you could pass the file, and the end user could open each query in the "edit query" -> "advanced editor" and update the file path to his local system.

I am wondering this because I have tried to move the pbix and excel file attached to the presentation to a different folder on my computer, and hit refresh to get the updated data, but it doesn't work. I get an error because the path is different.

Alternatively, you could place the files in a shared location, OneDrive, SharePoint folder that you both have access to, then you wouldn't have this issue. (This would require you making modifications to your current queries.

Furthermore, would the data gateway be an option? If so, could you elaborate on the gateway? Would I need the gateway to be set up on the same computer that the pbix was created? If I end up leaving, and having my company computer shutdown, how would a colleague be able to update the excel file and refresh the pbix file? Thank you.

The data gateway is purely the refresh mechanism on the PBI Service. It won't help you in this instance as the dataset you publish will use the locations you set in the Desktop.

The last part describes sharing... A couple notes then: All files should be in a shared location so that anyone can access the files. The reports should be published to an App Workspace so that multiple people can manage sharing and edits (like your colleague). An Entperprise gateway should be used (Deployed to a Server) so that if you leave nothing happens other then someone else taking control of the dataset in the PBI Service. If you use "My Workspace" and a Personal Gateway, and your local system for data sources, if you leave, the company has to go find everything using your credentials on your system... or the alternative for them is to start over.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The easiest way to do this is probably to use parameters for the file path. Then when you pass the file over the end user would be prompted with entering the begining path which would match their local file location. This requires you to get used to the advanced editor and updating the M code to reference the parameter, but there is alot of documentation out there to help. Alternatively, you could pass the file, and the end user could open each query in the "edit query" -> "advanced editor" and update the file path to his local system.

Alternatively, you could place the files in a shared location, OneDrive, SharePoint folder that you both have access to, then you wouldn't have this issue. (This would require you making modifications to your current queries.

The data gateway is purely the refresh mechanism on the PBI Service. It won't help you in this instance as the dataset you publish will use the locations you set in the Desktop.

The last part describes sharing... A couple notes then: All files should be in a shared location so that anyone can access the files. The reports should be published to an App Workspace so that multiple people can manage sharing and edits (like your colleague). An Entperprise gateway should be used (Deployed to a Server) so that if you leave nothing happens other then someone else taking control of the dataset in the PBI Service. If you use "My Workspace" and a Personal Gateway, and your local system for data sources, if you leave, the company has to go find everything using your credentials on your system... or the alternative for them is to start over.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you Seth for your detailed response. I will try out everything you mentioned, and see if my problem has been solved. I Just do not want all this work on the presentation to go to waste due to my eventual absence - which is why I would like to figure out some way to send the pbix and excel files used to another user, on another computer, so he can take over my role.

Could you maybe elaborate on the first solution mentioned? The one about the parameters.

Once again, thank you. Will get back to you if need be.

@andyring This thread and link outline the parameters usage:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Power-BI-Template-for-Excel-files-using...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors