Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charliekersh76

Sharing Power BI reports with customers

Hi,

Is it possible, with either a Power BI Pro or Power BI Premium individual license to be able to share Power BI Reports with a customer even though they do not have Power BI themselves?

Thanks.

Charlie

6 REPLIES 6
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @charliekersh76 

As far as I’m concerned, the “Publish to web” function of sharing the reports is different from the Power BI Embedded. When you used the “Publish to web” function, you will only need to get the link and share it with the end-users, they can directly open and view the report with this simple link. But when you get the Embed Url of “Embed in website or portal”, it is not enough to load a Power BI report using the Power BI embedding model. It also requires an Azure AD token or an embed token. The end-users also have to go through the authentication process to acquire either an Azure AD token or an embed token. 

Therefore, I think the “Publish to web” function is suitable for your condition but “Embed in website or portal” is not.

For more info about the difference between these two sharing methods, you can follow these links:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Power-BI-Embedded-vs-Publish-to-Web/m-p/551353

https://bizzybee.blog/2018/09/03/embedding-power-bi-reports/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @charliekersh76 

According to your description, do you mean that you want to share your Power BI reports with the end-users that don’t even have a Power BI account?

If so, I think the only way to achieve this is using the “Publish to web” function to share a public web link of the report with them so that they can open and view it without a Power BI account, you can follow this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

v-robertq-msft_0-1622798069227.png

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I see a step before "Publish to Web" is "Embed Report",is this the same as what one of the respondents below provided in a link, namely, Power BI Embedded?

"Embedded analytics and Power BI Embedded (the Azure offer) allow you to embed Power BI content such as reports, dashboards and tiles, into your application.

In this tutorial, you'll learn how to:

• Set up your embedded environment.
  • Configure an embed for your customers (also known as app owns data) sample application.

To use your application, your users will not need to sign in to Power BI or have a Power BI license.

We recommend using the embed for your customers method to embed your Power BI content, if you're an independent software vendor (ISV) or a developer, who wants to create applications for third parties."

rakesh_js
Frequent Visitor
274188A
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply. Is what you provided in the link the same as what one respondent provided back to me, namely:

If so, I think the only way to achieve this is using the “Publish to web” function to share a public web link of the report with them so that they can open and view it without a Power BI account, you can follow this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

charliekersh76_0-1623127040442.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors