Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tiptran
Regular Visitor

Sharing Power BI contents with a group of users

Hi,

Is there a way for me to share a report (or other Power BI contents - dashboards, apps, ...) with a group of users instead of dealing with individual users? I dont want to share the entire workspace. I would like to enter a single email address, like a group email, in the Share dialog box rather than entering tens of individual emails.

I searched Google and found that distribution list is the way to go, but it requires administrator access to create one, which I dont have. Is there something normal users can do to create such a list? In Outlook, I could create a contact group, but could not use it to share my Power Bi reports.

I was thinking to use a Teams group for user management, i.e. adding members to the teams group, then share my Power BI contents with the Teams group. Howwever, Power BI doesnt seem to be able to share with a Teams group! Can anyone please confirm this? Can we share a report with all members in a Teams group?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tiptran ,

For now, it is not supported for normal users to create groups directly in Power BI. And unfortunately, it can't use the one that is created by ourselves in Teams either. It needs administrator to create groups in Microsoft 365 admin center or Azure Active Directory. You could reference the documents to learn more about groups. 

Compare groups 

Create a group in the Microsoft 365 admin center 

I find a similar idea: Custom Groups. And you also could create a new idea to make your own demands. However, there are not many people to vote up the relative ideas. The feature will be fixed for a long time.

Sorry for this, there is not a workaround to implement your requirement directly. Please try to ask admin to create groups.

Hope my answer can help you.🙂

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tiptran ,

For now, it is not supported for normal users to create groups directly in Power BI. And unfortunately, it can't use the one that is created by ourselves in Teams either. It needs administrator to create groups in Microsoft 365 admin center or Azure Active Directory. You could reference the documents to learn more about groups. 

Compare groups 

Create a group in the Microsoft 365 admin center 

I find a similar idea: Custom Groups. And you also could create a new idea to make your own demands. However, there are not many people to vote up the relative ideas. The feature will be fixed for a long time.

Sorry for this, there is not a workaround to implement your requirement directly. Please try to ask admin to create groups.

Hope my answer can help you.🙂

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is a major pain at the enterprise level. Tableau groups are easy to configure but we're totally reliant on business teams maintaining the group mailboxes themselves for Power BI access...

Thank you for clear explanation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors