Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kattlees
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sharing Power BI Reports

Our company is new to Power BI and loving it so far. One question is if I create a sharepoint embed code and placed it on a sharepoint page, I can see it perfectly but others in my company can't. It keeps saying they need Power BI Pro.

Is there no way to share reports (without publishing to the world wide web) unless everyone has Power BI Pro?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kattlees,

From above error message, it looks like those recipients have no Pro license. With sharing, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you need a Power BI Pro license. Your recipients also need Power BI Pro licenses, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
csssoft
Frequent Visitor

If you are looking to upload to Sharepoint folders, Dropbox, FTP or send by email ("without publishing to the world wide web") with just one Power BI Pro license then have you tried a third-party tool like PBRS Power BI Reports Scheduler. This will export your Power BI reports out to specified formats e,g, PDF and then deliver it to the destination of your choice.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kattlees,

Yes. A Power BI Pro license is required to view reports embedded in SharePoint Online.

Embedding a report in SharePoint Online does not automatically give users permission to view the report. The permissions to view the report are set within the Power BI service. There are two ways to provide access to the report within the Power BI service. If you are using an Office 365 Group to build your SharePoint Online team site, list the user as a member of the app workspace within the Power BI service. Another way is to grant user access to report via sharing dashboard.

Besides, to enable Power BI Free users can view reports that are embedded with the Power BI web part for SharePoint Online. You provide access to free users with the first way mentioned above. The workspace, where the report is located, has to be backed by Power BI Premium capacity.

Reference: Embed with report web part in SharePoint Online

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So I must be missing something. I created a report and published it to my workspace.

I shared the dashboard and report with a user. (see secondphoto)  When she logs in, she gets the message in the first photo

What am I doing wrong?

Wendy1.jpgWEndy.jpg

Hi @kattlees,

From above error message, it looks like those recipients have no Pro license. With sharing, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you need a Power BI Pro license. Your recipients also need Power BI Pro licenses, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Hi, 

I have the same problem here. Our company has limited amount of Pro licences. I want to share a report/dashboard but the invitee has to have pro account to see it. How can we make our content in Premium capacity? Can you explain that in detail? 

Thanks 

We are having the same issue that I have seen on several posts including this one.  We have applied Premium Capacity to the workspaces and added internal users to the members.  Only those with E5 licenses (includes PowerBIPro) can see the reports.  Other users with E3 licensing see the workspace with the diamond indicating Premium capacity.  But as soon as the click on it they are prompted to either upgrade or start free PowerBI Pro trial.  

Hi @tfgardner

We are having the same issue at my organization. Have you found a solution or any work arounds? Our workspace is in Premium so the Pro license should not be required for users to just view the report.

Thanks!

We did find some workarounds. First the report must be deployed to a Premium Workspace.  A non Pro (free) user will never be able to get into an App Workspace - even Premium without a Pro license so we must "publish" the report to them in a different place.  The options we have used include Sharing with them from the Premium Workspace.  That will end up placing the report in their Shared with Me folder.  We have also been successful at showing reports deployed to Premium workspaces via Teams.  Finally we have published Apps to allow large groups of free users to see Premium Workspace content.

We have not found anything that is manageable for us. We have to pay the monthly price for each pro user we want to see reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors