Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bernardjesmith
Frequent Visitor

Sharing Power BI Data

HI,

I'm new to working with Power BI. I've built a few simple dashboards using the desktop version, and I've loaded them to the service. I'm trying to understand how to use the on premise gateway to share the data with a QA team I put together. I'm currently using the Power Bi Pro Trial. My QA team is also signed up for the Pro trial.

The gateway was installed on my local PC (not a server). When I try to share the dashboards using the gateway with the QA team they get an error message indicating they can't access the gateway. I've looked into this and noticed references to creating users for the gateway. When I check the gateway settings, I don't see a way to add users. Additionally, when I created the gateway, I could only setup one user (me). Do I have to install another on premise gateway on my machine for each user in my QA team?

Also, I'm using direct query with the dashboards.

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@bernardjesmith

What do you mean "Sharing Power BI data? If you mean share dashboard and reports, I can think you can use the GROUP.

The gateway is used to connect to a datasource directly or to refresh data(It is best to install the gateway on a machine that can be left running all the time.), not sure why you talk about gateway while the title is "Sharing Power BI data"

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @bernardjesmith

A question when you installed the Gateway did you install it as a Personal Gateway or an On-Premise Gateway?

on-prem-data-gateway-install-powerbi

The reason being if it is installed as a Personal Gateway it is for you to personally refresh, whilst the On-Premise Gateway is for multiple people to use, which is then enabled via the Users tab on the Gateway settings.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors