Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

harshadsp
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sharing PBI dashboard to extrenal users

Hello All,

Need your suggestions.

I have gone though many links to share the dashboard to extenral user but I am really confused what to do? So thought to write here and get some clear suggestion or proper way to share to others.

Say, I have a PBI dashboard and I have 100 users outside to my organization to share this with. No user still have any pbi account. Could anyone explain starting from very first step how I could go for it? 

When it comes with internal sharing within my organization I could do it but when things come for external, I am really confused. Do all 100 users need pro account? Or I can have a master account for external and that account holder will add all remaining user's access?  What all further accesses I need to provide?

Somewhere I read about Office 365 and Azure accounts, how they work in my case? 

Please anyone guide me since I really dont know anything about sharing to external.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @harshadsp,

Yes, you're right. Anyone can view your report. With sharing dashboard, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you need a Power BI Pro license. Your recipients also need Power BI Pro licenses, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. So the users need have pro license or they are in a Premium capacity.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would either use "Publish to Web" or watch this video:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-expands-access-to-intelligence-for-external-guest-...

Publish to Web is simply:

1. Publish report to Power BI Service from Desktop

2. Go into Power BI Service, find the report

3. Click File | Publish to Web to generate a link

4. Email link to interested persons

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler

But I guess 'publish to web' will make data visible to anyone? Since the data is sensitive, I am thinking it would be risky. Appreciate your thougyhts in this. Please advise.

If this will not work then any other alternatives?

Thanks

Hi @harshadsp,

Yes, you're right. Anyone can view your report. With sharing dashboard, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you need a Power BI Pro license. Your recipients also need Power BI Pro licenses, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. So the users need have pro license or they are in a Premium capacity.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors