Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zapppsr
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Sharing Outside Organization - Recipient get message "Sorry we could not find dashboard"

What previously worked fine, now is not working properly:

When I share a Dashboard with someone outside my organization, it works fine, I get the warning and the message saying that the Dasboard was shared successfully. 

But when the recipient tries to open the link they get the message: "Sorry we could not find dashboard".

It is not clear as if "you don't have access to this Dashboard". It simply can not find it...

I use Power BI free and free features, although I tried the Pro, which is now expired.

I double checked e-mails and sharing with different people.

Any help?

asas.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All of a sudden it started working again. Tested with 3 people. 

Now I will see if its solved, monitoring for a while.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
drifter565

Hey All,

I had a similar issue but was able to resolve it.  It's a pretty specific case but may help you find a workaround. Here is a description of the scenario and the workaround. Hope it helps!

Dashboard was loaded to a distinct workspace that was created when the project started. Although I am an admin on this workspace the owner of any given workspace is created using a mock email address of the workspace name and virtualized in Azure AD. PBI allows admins to share dashboards in a workspace but it looks like it actually doesn’t grant access to users outside the organization. In order to get around this I had to give myself direct access to the dashboard with sharing permissions on and then, using the link in the access granted mail, re-grant any outside domain user.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @zapppsr,

How about using different web browsers to access the shared dashboard? Based on my research, the error could also occur when using IE to access dashboard.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@zapppsr I have came across this before. One way I would suggest you is to share dashboard link with users outside your organisation and when they visit it they will have an option to request access to it which will send you an email saying "Someone is requesting access to this dashboard" and you have option to grant or deny it. 

But if that doesn't work I would suggest contact MS and raise it with them. I think it is something to do with tenant level setting.

Hi, ankitpatira thanks for replying. The link didn't work also.

Hi Lydia, thanks for replying.

I tested in Edge and Chrome. And several users from two different domains can't see the boards.

Thanks again.

All of a sudden it started working again. Tested with 3 people. 

Now I will see if its solved, monitoring for a while.

Zapppsr, were you able to resolve this?  Did it just start working for you again?  And no further issues?

I"m experiencing same issue and I searched the forum for a solution, but don't see any.

Hi @paulc!

Just after the release of the latest Power BI Service/Desktop update, it stop working. I tested with 3 coworkers in 3 different domains, and it wasn't working.

After a couple of days, I tested with the same group and it started to work.

One important thing you should know is that dashboards shared outside your organization (or different domain, in my case) will not appear where the other dashboards are

The person you shared with wil have to save the e-mail/link in which the board was shared in order to access it again.

This can cause a confusion sometimes, thinking that the dashboard is not shared.

Ask them to try and access it using the link.

I hope it helps.

Hi @zapppsr

Thanks for the reply.  I understand your point about external users not having the left panel, hence the dashboard will not be where other dashboards are... they simply have to view the dashboard I share with them via browser without the left pane - I understand this point.

My external user cannot access the dashboard I shared with him at all... it's not like he had accessed it before and it's not working now... he cannot access it at all to begin.

Since there is no clear solution, other than hoping it works some day, I guess I cannot do anything about it.  As an alternative, I'll have to re-create the whole dashboard in Excel environment (using Power Pivot/DAX) and share it in Sharepoint environment with my external user. 

Another thing to check is if either your client or you are using different Power BI plans. For instance if one of is using Power BI pro evaluation time, it my also cause problem, as I read.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors