Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sharing Dashboards to external clients and Azure B2B

Im a little connfused again

If you were producing Power BI reports for external Customers.  It seems you bundle everything up into an App and share from the App.

Why then do you need Azure B2B if you can already do the above to invite external users to view Power BI content?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+get+to+azure+b2b&view=detail&mid=160F641B1CD15D6E7AB8160... Having watched this a few times. Setting up the app and adding external users to the app is the more ad hoc way of adding external users. They will receive their email this way and once accepted they will become a guest user Or you can add them via Azure and the email will go out from here.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm pretty certain that Azure B2B is the underlying mechanism by which that sharing works. Here is a good article on it:

https://www.blue-granite.com/blog/azure-ad-b2b-sharing-power-bi-reports

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Does that mean that you dont have to set up azure B2B First?

Ive had a read through and I still dont really understand (Its difficult when you havent actually had to do this yet. But its something we will need to do very soon)

Enable Peer-to-Peer Sharing

I understand that this is when you are in a report / dashboard and click share. I don’t do this though. I create apps and share the apps instead

Create an Organizational User Account

From the videos I’ve been watching this seems like an old way of doing things.  We haven’t gone this route because its still early days and all our reports are internal

Use Power BI Embedded

Again this seems like an old way of doing things. The video says this is a fairly complicated set up

Azure AD B2B Eases Sharing

This seems like latest best way of doing things. However, if you can just add the external email address when you set up the app and it works. I still don’t understand why you need to use this?

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+get+to+azure+b2b&view=detail&mid=160F641B1CD15D6E7AB8160... Having watched this a few times. Setting up the app and adding external users to the app is the more ad hoc way of adding external users. They will receive their email this way and once accepted they will become a guest user Or you can add them via Azure and the email will go out from here.

Hi @DebbieE,

Have you understood the Sharing Dashboards to external clients and Azure B2B?

If you have solved your problem, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

In addition, you could have a reference of this document about it.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No, I had already read that one and it seemedto be just an overview. It was after looking at the video I attatched that I started to get a better idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DebbieE : did you solve the b2b sharing ?. If yes can share the steps please

Not solved as such. It became a little easier to understand watching the above video. I havent actually done it yet but Im guessing:

You go into Azure Active Directory and Add Guest User

They either get an invite and add themselves as guests  via the invite (And they already have Power BI Pro)

Or we have set them up with an internal Power BI Pro account and they accept the invite

Here is where it gets a bit hazy

I think at this point you have an app created full of dashboards and Reports. You send them an invite to the app. They simply download the app and they are in.  They have already moved from being invited to guest users.

OR

The person who has created the App group and App adds in the email of a guest user who hasnt been invited yet through Azure Active Directory. They then become Invited. Then accept and they can download and look at the app because they have Power BI Pro (And they get added as a guest to the active directory at this point) Or they accept and cant do anything because they dont have Pro (But are stil added to the active Directory as a guest user)

If this is correct it sees that the best way of doing it is through Active Directory by an Admin who can set them up with a pro account if neccessary. Then they get invited to download the app when its ready.

As I say I havent done this yet so this is a best guess.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DebbieE : Thanks for brefing out

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors