Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

minh23tran
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing Dashboards that have RLS applied to individuals outside organisation

In regards to our Power BI issue we are having difficulty understanding the security configuration required for our customers. Let me first explain how we are setup and perhaps from explaining things from the beginning you can point out any issues you see along the way.

1. We have multiple customers all which have their own Azure SQL database. Every one of those databases have a dataset in Power BI.

2. Dashboards can either be created by our staff, or be created by the customers.

3. The dashboards that we create are shared for every one of the customers.

Naturally, we don't want to have to manage duplicate dashboards for each of the customers. Instead we'd rather have a single dashboard that can open up the corresponding dataset depending on which user is accessing it. I understand that RLS allows a filtering query to be used to get the correct data based on the user so we rolled up all the data into one db and it works perfectly for individuals within the organization. Our clients aren't within our organization though, so what are the options currently available? 

Dashboard 1 --> figure out which user is accessing it --> change the dataset to their home dataset

That way, customer data is physically separated by different SQL databases and as the number of dashboards grow that we give to all customers the amount of maintenance is minimized.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RLS cannot change the dataset. It can restrict the rows considered within a single dataset. RLS within Power BI is not ready for primetime yet, in my opinion. It does not even apply in a workspace where an end user has edit permissions ... like their own "My Workspace".

RLS in SSAS is much more robust and supported in Power BI. This is the route I would continue to suggest for now to utilize role-based security in Power BI reports.

Regardless of RLS in Power BI improving, the functionality is not there to support the type of parameterization of datasets that you'd like to see. PBI RLS and SSAS RLS would require a single-tenant solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
celcius
Frequent Visitor

Old post I know but I read this and thought of a solution. If you create a merged view of the data from each database either by appending each set of data in power bi or using a SQL view to merge them beforehand. Then you could use RLS to restrict the users access.

AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I have to say external sharing is not currently supported with datasets that using RLS.

Please reference the “Limitations” in this article https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/.

You can also take a look at this similar case: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Is-External-sharing-possible-with-data-set-that-use-RLS/m-p/....

Best Regards

Alex

RLS cannot change the dataset. It can restrict the rows considered within a single dataset. RLS within Power BI is not ready for primetime yet, in my opinion. It does not even apply in a workspace where an end user has edit permissions ... like their own "My Workspace".

RLS in SSAS is much more robust and supported in Power BI. This is the route I would continue to suggest for now to utilize role-based security in Power BI reports.

Regardless of RLS in Power BI improving, the functionality is not there to support the type of parameterization of datasets that you'd like to see. PBI RLS and SSAS RLS would require a single-tenant solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors