Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing Dashboards from Embedded tiers to Free Users Not Working

Hi,

Up until a week ago I was able to share Dashboards which reside on workspaces assigned to Premium capacity to Free users.  Now those free users are being prompted with "Upgrade to Pro".  I have tested sharing the underlying reports and this works fine.

Has something changes in the last week or so to now prevent Free users having Dashboards backed by Premium capacity shared with them?

I have also tried creating an App but a free user cannot access that either.

Thanks

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

EM nodes can be used for embedded deployments only. In your scenario, please check which Premium capacity node you have assigned to that app workspace. If it's EM capacity node, when you share the dashboard from Power BI service with free user, it's expected that free user isn't able to view dashboard. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have provisioned EM nodes.  I was able to share dashboards up to about a week ago but now this is not working.  I can still share reports.

Hi @Anonymous,

What do you mean about "I was able to share dashboards up to about a week ago but now this is not working."? Did you share dashboards before by embedding dashboards in a application? 

As you mentioned "I can still share reports.", did you mean the free users can view shared reports? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, My steps were to:

1. Login to Azure portal

2. Create Embedded capacity - A1 tier

3. Log into app.powerbi.com

4. Create a workspace and assign the workspace to the Azure embedded capacity

5. Upload a desktop report to the workspace now backed by azure A1 capacity

6. Create report and dashboard

up to about 4 weeks ago I was able to share dashboards to the internal free users, it would appear in their Shared With Me section.  That doesn’t work now as they are prompted with an Upgrade To Pro prompt.

however, currently I am able to share reports to internal free users (they are not pro and do not have a pro trial) and the report appears in their Shared With Me section and they are able to click and see/interact with the report.

i am also able to share reports to external users, as long as they bookmark the shared url.

please note that I have not embedded the reports in a custom application, this was all done purely through the power bi service and azure portal

We are noticing the exact same behaviour. Is it expected that the Free Users should be able to access the reports in the "Shared With Me" section. We were not expecting that they could and were actually considering building a simple web app to deliver shared content to Free Users.

Can someone please confirm if going ahead Free Users will continue view reports in the Power BI app "Shared with Me" section, that have been created by a Power BI Pro user whose workspace has been assigned to A1 embedded capacity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors