Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alwweb
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sharing Dashboard and On-premises data gateway (personal mode)

I've read the documentation like crazy, but I can't figure out if I can use the personal mode of the OP gateway for a DirectQuery data source when I want to deploy to the PowerBI Service and then share a dashboard built off of the DirectQuery dataset, or do I need Enterprise version to share the dashboard with others.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi alwweb,

There're no direct relationship between data gateway and share contents. You can share contents with others if you and the user be shared with have pro license regardless of which type of gateway you have configured. In addtion, personal data gateway doesn't support direct query so you should you use On-premises data gateway instead.

Here is a list of some difference between On-premises data gateway and personal data gateway:

• On-premises data gateway
  • Multiple users can share a gateway in this mode.
  • Be used by Power BI, PowerApps, Flow or Logic Apps.
  • On-premises data gateway includes support for schedule refresh on both import and Direct Query mode.
  • Personal data gateway
  • For Power BI only and can be used as an individual without any administrator configuration.
  • Can not be used for Direct Query.
  • Can not be run as a service, only can be run as an application.
  • Only one personal mode gateway are allowed to run for each Power BI user.
  • Fast Combine.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi alwweb,

There're no direct relationship between data gateway and share contents. You can share contents with others if you and the user be shared with have pro license regardless of which type of gateway you have configured. In addtion, personal data gateway doesn't support direct query so you should you use On-premises data gateway instead.

Here is a list of some difference between On-premises data gateway and personal data gateway:

• On-premises data gateway
  • Multiple users can share a gateway in this mode.
  • Be used by Power BI, PowerApps, Flow or Logic Apps.
  • On-premises data gateway includes support for schedule refresh on both import and Direct Query mode.
  • Personal data gateway
  • For Power BI only and can be used as an individual without any administrator configuration.
  • Can not be used for Direct Query.
  • Can not be run as a service, only can be run as an application.
  • Only one personal mode gateway are allowed to run for each Power BI user.
  • Fast Combine.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I think I see the answer to my question, but I want to be sure I understand. Is this correct?

1. I have a local SQL server. 
  2. I set up a personal gateway to schedule refreshes of my dataset from the local SQL Server. 
  3. I create a report and then a dashboard from the dataset
  4. I have Pro and I share the dashboard with other users.
  5. These users can see the most recently refreshed data that was retrieved by using my personal gateway.

Right?  Thanks.

@alwweb,

Other than changing the order (you set up a gateway refresh once everything is in Power BI Service), all correct.

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@alwweb,

Gateways and report sharing have little to do with each other.

Sharing: as long as you have a Pro account and can upload your reports to the service, you can share them out with other Pro users.

Gatways: gateways are a system to connect to data sources and schedule refreshes/etc in the service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors