Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jbbaxter04

Sharing Composite Models through an App

Hello All.

I’m having issues with my team viewing Composite Models that I publish to an app. The Composite Model is composed of three Shared Datasets, each belonging to their own workspace. My users get a “Can’t Display the Visual” error in the app. It turns out that they can only view Data in the Composite Model if they have access as a member to the Shared Dataset's workspace(s).

As a workaround, I have to publish each Shared Dataset that the Composite Model is using to a central workspace that they are members to. This gives them visibility of the Composite Model, both through the workspace and an app. Is there a way for them to gain visibility through an app without adding them as members to a centralized workspace or each workspace that the Shared Datasets are maintained?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jbbaxter04 

This is how it should work because each user should have access to read from the underlying dataset. 

For example if a user has access to a report but not the underlying dataset (Read permissions) the user will not be able to see the data.

The same applies with composite models to ensure that the security is in place.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jbbaxter04 

This is how it should work because each user should have access to read from the underlying dataset. 

For example if a user has access to a report but not the underlying dataset (Read permissions) the user will not be able to see the data.

The same applies with composite models to ensure that the security is in place.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for clarifying. This makes sense from a security standpoint.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors