Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

benmc
Regular Visitor

Sharing App with External users

Hi

I am attempting to share an App to external users

The experience though is not what I expect after reading the documentation

After sharing/publishing an App (and also tried pushing to external users) a message box informs that "users can also install the App by visiting Get Apps"

I expect for them to see this App in the App section after logging in to the PowerBI service.

Does this work for external users? 

The users have a Pro license

thankyou, Ben

5 REPLIES 5
AmberM
Helper II
Helper II

I am having a similar issue. We have external users that will need access to the App Workspace. Even after adding the user to Azure AD, the user has received the following 2 messages each time they try to follow the link emailed them for the App Workspace:

can’t access the App Workspace, 2 different error messages:

• This login.live.com page can no longer be found
  • Sorry, we couldn’t find that app; it may have been deleted or you may not have access to view it

I had to share the individual reports within the app workspace, so I sent links for each report, which meants multiple urls to bookmark or save, which is not how I understood the process if they were added to our tenant and added to the App Workspace in Power BI (has a Pro License)

The user tried again today, and it was complicated.

1. They had to first follow the original link where I invited the external user email to access applications within our tenant.
  2. Had to access the 2nd link to try to access the APP shared, but recieved an error message that the App Workspace may have been deleted or they did not have access
  3. follow each link to try to view the individual reports shared to them, even though the reports have been added to the App Workspace

I must have misunderstood the Whitepaper because this is an extremely tedious process for our external clients to go thru each time to view shared reports.

To share content through email, enter their email address in the Share tab.
When you select Share, they'll get an invite to join your organization as a guest user.After user accepts the invite, they will marked as guest in the access list

I have added the guest user to Azure AD, ensured they were listed as a Guest in the Admin portal, added to the App Workspace, and have shared with them thru the Share icon on the report. It is still extremely complicated to navigate back to the shared report, and the user cannot see the App Workspace.

Hi Everyone, not sure if this topic was already addressed, but I continue to have similar issues with external users.  There is also similar topic linked below.  The reset (delete and re-add user in Azure directory) works sometimes but not always.  We need a clear instruction and workflow for external users please.  

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Shared-externally-but-user-gets-error-quot-You-don-t-have-a...

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @benmc,

For external sharing, please refer to following blog:

Power BI expands access to intelligence for external guest users

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors