Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dgwilson
Resolver III
Resolver III

Sharepoint refresh - 3 lists - no data

I'm not sure how to properly diagnose this and would like some pointers please.

I have a dashboard that is connected to 3 x Sharepoint lists, they all are provided from the same Office 365 tennant site.

I have published the dashboard to a workspace

I have published the Application.

All OK so far.

I configured a refresh set at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm ... ....

When I request a refresh (so even manually), I do not appear to get any errors, and the data in the dashboard gets removed! In other words I look at the dashboard page and filter list of clients is now blank.

Looking at the Credentials under Edit ... the dialog box implies that it authentication is anonynous... But back in the .pbix file my authentication is configured as "Microsoft Account"...

What should I have end-to-end to allow the scheduled data refresh to work?

And to confirm... there are no other data sources beyond the 3 x sharepoint lists.

- David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dgwilson,

Does your report contains records, is this blank issue only appears on dashboard? Can you please share you refresh history?

In addition, it sound like you are use oauth mode to link your datasources, but it not appears on power bi service data source credentials authorization mode?

If this is a case, any advanced operations in your query? Such as: append/merge, reference other queries, invoke custom functions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft thanks for the follow up.

Refresh history is in the image below. - I've never seen a failure.

PBI Outcomes Refresh History.PNG

Here's the first tab of the dashboard in PBI Desktop - as I expect to see it:

PBI Desktop Customer View.PNG

And here it is after being published as an application and refreshed.

I'm pretty sure the only reason one customer is there is becasue the selection is cached.

PBI Service Customer View.PNG

The source data comes from here (obviously I"ve changed xxxxxx):

SharePoint.Tables("https://xxxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxxxxxxxxxxx", [ApiVersion = 15])

Actually this might be more useful for you:

let
    Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://xxxxxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"32d9d393-f9e2-4ead-b5cc-70e94b7cefa7" = Source{[Id="32d9d393-f9e2-4ead-b5cc-70e94b7cefa7"]}[Items],
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"32d9d393-f9e2-4ead-b5cc-70e94b7cefa7",{{"ID", "ID.1"}, {"Title", "Customer Name"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Logo URL", type any}}),
    #"Expanded Logo URL" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Changed Type", "Logo URL", {"Description", "Url"}, {"Logo URL.Description", "Logo URL.Url"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Logo URL",{{"Logo URL Long", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Below is the Credentials screen when I Open it - seems it always defaults to displaying Anonymous

PBI Service - EDIT Credentials.PNG

Credential details chosen

PBI Service - CREDENTIALS.PNG

And from here everything is OK.

PBI Service Credentials OK.PNG

There are no advanced operations in the query. All 3 x lists are full refresh.

- David

Good news. I believe Refresh is working... and it has alwasy been working as it correctly reported.

I have managed to uncover what's going on and a difference between Desktop and Service (which requires more research).

I have a TRUE/FALSE field that is used as a primary filter. Only I've now discovered it's turned up in the Service after a refresh as 0 and -1.

For those that are interested here's how I found it. I built a diagnostic page to tell me what data was present:

PBI Outcomes Diagnostic.PNG

Of course this told me that I had data - it didn't tell me why it wasn't being displayed...   aka filters...

PBI Outcomes SharePoint TRUE-FALSE.PNG

Removing the page level filter and my report starteed to work (except that it was unfiltered).

So... what is this True/FALSE thing anyway... This needed some closer investigation.

PBI Outcomes SharePoint TRUE-FALSE what is it.PNG

Here's the load part on the Desktop... everything looks OK.

PBI Outcomes SharePoint TRUE-FALSE OK on Desktop Load.PNG

But after it's all published to the Service and refreshed... it turns up as 0 and -1 (not what I was expecting, and not what's happening in Desktop).

PBI Outcomes SharePoint TRUE-FALSE loaded to Service.PNG

Lastly here is the Sharepoint definition of that field... At least now I know what's happening... I might go back to the desktop and reload the list (clean) and see what happens.

PBI Outcomes SharePoint SharePoint Definition.PNG

- David

Anonymous
Not applicable

So glad I found this post.

I've been having the same problem for a couple of weeks and it's been driving me crazy.  I can't tell you how many hours i've spent trying to figure it out!

I've removed the filter and hey presto, it's working 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors