Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Underdog117

Sharepoint list returning numbers instead of names

When using a Sharepoint list as a data source, a column that should be user names is instead populated with numbers that seem to correspond to a particular person. It is worth noting that the sharepoint list is using active directory to call to users on the site itself. Any help is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
mrvachon
Regular Visitor

The id is likely equal to the user id in the site collection. This internal list of "site collection users". If you can import and join that table you should be able to get the user information from it. I know if you connect a list that references a user, access will pull in the referenced tables automatically... Perhaps this is a manual step to get this in powerbi
ajanson
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

if you have administrator privileges you could try to get users list from SharePoint. You do this in the same way like for simple SharePoint list, but you must provide appropriate address. I don't have local SharePoint instance to test it, so I'm not sure in 100% that this list will be visible in Power BI Desktop. But i gather this data using other application. If you get these data then you can combine them with your Query using Merge function in PowerQuery and you will get user name.

You can find some details about hidden User lists on SharePoint under following links:
http://zimmergren.net/technical/sharepoints-hidden-user-list-user-information-list

http://sharepointviews.com/hidden-users-list-in-sharepoint/

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Looks like the column in SharePoint is a Lookup column and it is putting the ID of another list's items, which is correct. Can you post the column definitions that you have in the SharePoint list?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors