Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arenol

Sharepoint list columns do not update

Hi

I have got a connection to a sharepoint list and gets all the new data in the former columns in but the new columns does not show. What do i do wrong while updating?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Phil_Gi

Hi all, @arenol , @bchager6 , @v-huizhn-msft ,

It looks like this issue still exists.

When I update the name of an existing column in my SharePoint Online List or add a new column to the list, the changes are not reflected in the Dataset. Moreover, the refresh fails after making changes to the source.

I tried changing the lineage-setup and put a Dataflow in front of the dataset, hoping to get more controle of the names of the columns in the fields. It looked like, where it is not possible to make any changes to column names or format in Datasets (once published to the Power BI Service). It IS still possible to make changes to columns in the Dataflow in the Power BI Service.

But, unfortunately, the refresh of the new dataset, the one connecting to the Dataflow, fails as well after having made some name-changes to the SharePoint List ( "Data source error The 'oldcolumnname' column does not exist in the rowset.").

Old lineage:

Phil_Gi_1-1674982956074.png

New lineage:

Phil_Gi_0-1674982931057.png

I found this article on the learn.microsoft.com-website:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2022wave2/power-bi/dataset-authoring-p...

Maybe this functionality could help solve this issue? Either way, it looks like it hasn't been released yet ..

Since we're still kind of building this reporting here at the company, the column names in the SharePoint list change on a regular basis and new columns - that we want to use in our reports - are being added. Anyone has any suggestion on how to manage this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Phil

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still an issue after 4 years, any insight?

I got the very same issues here. This is so disappointing! A very simple change is affecting the whole dataset. 

Yes, something to know about working with SharePoint lists is that the original column name is preserved behind the scenes so to speak, and that's what will be brought in to Power BI. You can get the original column name by going to list settings and then hovering your mouse over the column. You'll see the original column name at the end of its URL. The only way around this is to delete the column and create a new one, or maybe create a new lookup column with your new column name, looking up to the original.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@arenol wrote:

Hi

I have got a connection to a sharepoint list and gets all the new data in the former columns in but the new columns does not show. What do i do wrong while updating?

Thanks

I have the same issue.

It happens for me like this.

1. List is created with a template

2. List columns are RENAMED 3.

Seem that the RENAMED columns return the ORIGINAL NAME in Power BI Query

I am looking for a solution.

Stephen

@arenol wrote:

Hi

Thanks

I have the same issue.

It happens for me like this.

1. List is created with a template

2. List columns are RENAMED 3.

Seem that the RENAMED columns return the ORIGINAL NAME in Power BI Query

I am looking for a solution.

Stephen

I'm facing the same issue. I added a new column to my SharePoint list and renamed a few others, but none of the changes are being pulled in. I tried connecting a fresh Power BI report to the SharePoint list and reconnecting the list to the same Power BI report, but it didn't rectify the problem.

Has anyone had any luck here since this was posted?

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @arenol,

You get data from Sharepoint list online or Sharepoint list in desktop, then publish it to service?

For your reference: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/40040.power-bi-two-way-to-get-data-from-...

Best Regards,
Angelia

Sharepoint list in desktop...

And also, the column names does not get along from the sharepoint list to Power BI

arenol

Hi

I have an issue that the data from my sharepoint list do updates but not the additional columns that are in the list, any suggestions why it doesn not update?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors