Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PierreL69
Helper III
Helper III

Sharepoint document library retrieve view statistics

Hello the community,

I am using Power BI in order to try to get deeper statistics than the site usage feature offered by Sharepoint which I think is very poor

So I managed on document library to get file size data, folder size, size ventillation by tags, file type, etc.... 

but nothing concerning files user viewing count on my documentary library, or the pages viewing count from my News app.

I'would like to find the same kind of information than Sharepoint site usage feature, but with more deeper details/flexible where you can choose your period on time, if you want view stat on the whole sharepoint or on only on the document library etc...

And I did not find this kind of info when I connected my Power BI to my document library from my Sharepoint site

But maybe I did not look at the right place.

I hope it is possible,

Thanks for your help

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PierreL69  I am building something similar, what is your solultion in the end?

PierreL69
Helper III
Helper III

So nobody have any clue on this ? how to retrieve statistics view on a document library / Pages etc... ? 

Thanks

Up

Hi @PierreL69 ,

Sorry for reply late, Based on this similar thereadYou may need to use the office 365 management API for usage and retrieve the data on a schedule and store in your own database, you can then use PowerBI to report on top of that. You need to register an Azure AD app and give it permissions to use this API.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the solution, but in my case, I think it will not be possible.

I am in a big company, and I have administrator rights only on my SharePoint site (which is already not at top level),

the IT department will never accept to give me admin rights in order to use office 365 management 😞

Hi @PierreL69 ,

Sorry for that,  it is not the effective solution in your scenario. Maybe you could try to ask other releated api in forums about sharepoint.

Best regards,

I reported it to the IT team, we will see if they can manage something.

When you speak about other API  won't it be the same result?
=> Have admin rights on 0365 in order to be able to consult the logs?

I was hoping that these statistics on the documents consulted (number of consultations and by whom) would be directly available in the library.
But it always seems complicated with Microsoft

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PierreL69 ,

Have you tried to use the service app to analysis your sharepoint data? You can have a look at this: https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi/pbi_webtrends.pbi-webtrends-sharepoint?tab=ov...

or https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi/pbi_office365ap.pbi-o265-adoptionpreview?tab=...

You can find more Service app to analysis data about sharepoint in AppSource.

Best regards,

Ok thanks, I started to read the review but seems not very positive.

You sure it is related to User view statistic?

Many thanks to try to help me,

Pierre

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors