Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharepoint credentials retained in dataset after data source deletion

Hi all

I am encountering the following issue during data refresh in the Power BI service. The first sharepoint data source in the picture below has been deleted in my PBIX file, and the report has been published to a new workspace. It seems the credentials and the data source are still stored in the file however, which keeps me from refreshing the report using the new sharepoint data source.

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 10.48.00.png

However, as can be clearly seen in my screenshot from Power BI Desktop below, only a single sharepoint data source actually exists in the file:

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 10.52.19.png

It seems that the file still retains the data source connection in spite of me having deleted all queries using it. Is this a bug or am I missing something? Can anyone tell me how to fully remove the old sharepoint data source, including any remnants of old credentials?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you discovered a solution to this issue? I am also encountering this issue. I have tried deleting the data source permissions in Desktop, but when uploading to report server it is still asking for SP credentials.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I unfortunately never found a solution, and haven't revisited the issue since submitting my workaround.

Best bet is to check if the workaround also works for you. And if you are able to contribute anything in reproducing the issue, please do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was changing the source of the query to a Web connection so I did not need the SharePoint connection anymore, but it was still appearing when I needed to add the credentials after uploading to report server.

I got it to work by deleting the original Sharepoint source completely and then copying and replacing the PBI desktop file and reuploading that. I'm still unsure what caused the original issue though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've found an effective work-around: rather than deleting the old queries and creating new ones from a new data source, I've gone ahead and replaced the site url of all the queries, and now only a single set of data source credentials is required.

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 12.35.36.png

I still have no idea how one would go about actually deleting the sharepoint data source if the report no longer requires it. For this reason, I am leaving this thread open for now.

Hi @Anonymous,

I can't reproduce it. Maybe a temporary error or a human error.

Sharepoint_credentials_retained_in_dataset_after_data_source_deletion

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors