Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharepoint Online Requirement

Good morning,

I'm a new user of PowerBI and am researching the potential uses of PowerBI for my organization.  I was under the impression that to share PowerBI dashboards with our end users we'd need Sharepoint Online as a front end.  It appears from the documentation that the "new experience" no longer supports the Sharepoint Online PowerBI Team Sites.  

Is Sharepoint Online required at all to use PowerBI in my organziation at this point?  If not, are there any good resources that show examples of what the front end experience is like for end users in the documentation?  Anyone have a screen shot they could share?

Thanks!

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Anonymous,

Microsoft recently took me through their BI roadmap, and I had the exact same question as you did.

Microsoft 's goal is to utilise SSRS as its BI platform as its goal is to provide the first and only true Enterprise BI Platform. SSRS is intended to be completely independant from Sharepoint. I have been told to wait for 2 months as a big change is approaching.

SSRS will essentially integrate all of the following:

1. PowerBI (Visualisation & Dashboards)

2. SSAS (Cubes)

3. Paginated Reports/Transactional reports

The following image shows you SSRS integrating BI across all its products.

SSRS.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Anonymous,

Microsoft recently took me through their BI roadmap, and I had the exact same question as you did.

Microsoft 's goal is to utilise SSRS as its BI platform as its goal is to provide the first and only true Enterprise BI Platform. SSRS is intended to be completely independant from Sharepoint. I have been told to wait for 2 months as a big change is approaching.

SSRS will essentially integrate all of the following:

1. PowerBI (Visualisation & Dashboards)

2. SSAS (Cubes)

3. Paginated Reports/Transactional reports

The following image shows you SSRS integrating BI across all its products.

SSRS.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@djnww - This is really great information, I appreciate the reply.   That roadmap is interesting.  It does seem the on prem SSRS is soon going to be the most comprehensive platform for enterprise BI with Microsoft.  I would be curious if they mentioned the possibility of moving SSRS (beyond hosting charts in PowerBI) to azure.  I'll stay tuned for that "big announcment" in a few months as well.   Thanks again. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - SharePoint Online is no longer needed or even really supported as a front-end. (Sort of, you can "connect" an Excel or PBIX file sitting in SharePoint Online and have it automatically refreshed by the service and thus users could view it there). The new front-end is the Power BI Service and the easiest way to experience it is to go to https://www.powerbi.com and simply sign-up for a free account. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler - Thanks for the information.  That's what I was piecing together from the documentation so it's good to hear confirmation.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors