Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HGIllmore
Helper I
Helper I

Shared datasets in new workspaces

I am looking forward to the Shared/Certified datasets enhancement coming to the Power BI Service in preview next month.  Will the datasets be able to be shared across workspaces regardless of whether it is the regular workspace type or the new workspace experience that is still in preview?

12 REPLIES 12
nicg
Advocate II
Advocate II

Looks like this has been bumped to May on the roadmap.

mandyg
Regular Visitor

Is this confirmed for May / is it out?

Thanks!

The latest message published on the O365 Message Center on May 23rd indicates that this is scheduled to start rolling out mid-June.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update here? All I can find in the documentation is that they are planning for "imminent release" but that was on Jun 3, 2019...

They are there and working. Create a two new workspaces (make sure they are the new format which should now be your default). Put a dataset into one. Then using the latest Power BI desktop (make sure you have downloaded the latest) create a report based in the dataset in workspace 1 and then publish the report to workspace 2!
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is fantastic! If I then update the original dataset, changes migrate over to the dataset in the other workspace? Makes managing workspaces 1000x easier...

andrewsimmans
Helper I
Helper I

Hi - has anynone heard about this - according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/April19/business-intelligence/p... it was supposed to be available for public preview in March and according to the timetable it is still supposed to be in March - but it is now April!!

In the recently posted "April 2019 Power BI Desktop Release" blog there is a comment asking about availability of Certified Datasets. Amir Netz responds saying "very very soon". Hopefully, that means yet this month. I'm assuming that will also include sharing datasets across workspaces since they are mentioned together in the roadmap.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-april-2019-feature-summary/

nicg
Advocate II
Advocate II

We're waiting for this as well. It can't get here soon enough!

HGIllmore
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, Daniel,

Thank you for your reply.  I was referring to the new feature planned for March 2019 that is outlined here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/April19/business-intelligence/p....  If I am not mistaken, this will allow me to use one dataset as a source for reports that reside in other workspaces.  I did not see anything in the Release notes to indicate whether we would be able to use the shared dataset in any app workspace, or if it would only apply to reports in workspaces that were created using the New Workspace Experience.

I hope this helps to clarify my question, thanks.

It is the later part of March 2019, has anyone seen this option rolled out or are the able to use it yet?  If so, how do you enable it?

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HGIllmore ,

How could you want to share the dataset? If you just want to share your dataset for your members in your workspace, you could just set members can edit Power BI content:

1.PNG

If you want to share the dataset across different workspace, I am afraid you could not achieve this feature currently, you could vote below idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/35689393-share-dataset-across-dif...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors