Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

omillzy
Helper III
Helper III

Shared datasets - Permissions issue

I'm having some strange things with datasets shared across workspaces.

Here's an example:

Workspace/app A: Dataset 1, Report 1

Workspace/app B: Report 2 (using dataset 1 as datasource)

Both workspaces/apps are completely open to the organisation, however, when users click on Workspace/app B to visit Report 2 they get the following message:  "Permission Required: You cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset. Please contact the dataset owner to request access."

Surely if both Apps are open there shouldn't be any issue?

12 REPLIES 12
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @omillzy ,

After testing,when you use shared dataset to create an app ,you need to grant permission of the dataset to the users who need to access:

v-kelly-msft_1-1611733159585.png

Things to keep in mind about publishing apps:

• The permissions page doesn't change permission on datasets in other workspaces. You do see a warning reminding you to grant access to those datasets independently. A best practice is to contact the dataset owner before starting to build your app to ensure it is OK to give all your app users access those datasets.

For the related reference,see below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Untitled.png

If I go to datasource it says entire organisation has Build permission, I have the option to add reshare, but not read?

So how can I grant access to the entire organisation? Surely I don't need to add each member individually to the dataset...We have about 500 users, constantly growing everyday

Hi @omillzy ,

First of all,you should be sure that the users are in your tenant(by adding them to your tenant in office 365 or Azure AD),then when you buid the app,go to permisson>Entire organization>"Allow all users to connect to the underlying datasets using the Build permission."

v-kelly-msft_0-1611796859716.png

App buid is different from buid permission,check the reference below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-build-permissions

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi Kelly,

The users are added to our tenancy in 365, and I have ensured that "Allow all users to connect to the underlying datasets using the Build permission." is ticked for both apps.

However, I am still getting the permissions error. It's strange because we have an older dataset that is shared across 2 workspaces/apps and users are not receiving the permissions error. The permissions settings are all the same.

But since the November or maybe December power bi upgrade we are now having this issue with newly created shared datasets  - is it possibly a bug with reports generated from one of the latest Power BI updates?

Hi @v-kelly-msft - this issue was never resolved

I found this page on microsoft documentation which explains why it's not working: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-share

"If you select Entire organization, then no one in the organization will have Build permission. This issue is already known. Instead, specify email addresses in Specific individuals or groups. If you want your entire organization to have Build permission, specify an email alias for the entire organization."

Both App A and B are open to 'Entire organisation' therefore no users have access to the shared dataset (although I think is counterintuitive to be honest). The solution says that I need to create an alias for the entire organisation - does anyone know I do this? 

iXpert_info
Helper II
Helper II

Hey @omillzy 

What datasource you are using in workspace/App A?

Thanks
Jay Patel
iXpert Analytics

We have a couple of instances where this issue is occuring.

The first is an admin usage report using the Power BI rest APIs to gather information about our tenancy and refresh the schedule

The second is just a data warehouse sql server hosted on Azure

Hey @omillzy 

are both the workspaces modern workspaces or 1 is modern and other is classic?
https://www.dynamicpeople.nl/en/news/sharing-datasets/#

this can also can have an impact on the issue

Did I answer your question? If Yes Please mark this as solution to help others

Best Regards
Jay Patel
iXpert Analytics

They are all modern workspaces

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @omillzy 

Try this please:

• Go to the Workspace/App B
  • Click on Update app, Up right corner
  • Go to Permissions Tab
  • Check out who does and does not have permissions to your App B
  • aj1973_0-1611674989987.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Both workspaces are open to the entire organisation

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors