cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Shared Datasets and underlying permissions

Absolutely. See below. I did see something in another forum about Microsoft having these permissions granted automatically at one point, but then switching it back to manual. I have not had any formal confirmation on that. 

Annotation 2020-01-13 084458.png

Super User IV
Super User IV

Yeah I am not sure either.

I do know if you share via the app, depending on what permissions were set when creating the app is how those users will be granted access.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @taylorp84 ,

I have exactly the same issue. Do you already have a better solution then giving read access to the underlaying dataset in the other workspace to individual users?

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Huh, me too. 

Trying to share with external users. 

Workspace 1 has the Dataset

Workspace 2 has a trimmed down copy of the report

Workspace 2 has an app, a group (of which these external users are a part), was given app access

Yet it keeps compalining about them not having access to the underlying dataset

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have not found anything better yet. It appears this is the best imperfect solution until Microsoft smoothens this out a bit. 

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Just curious not sure if anyone has tried this yet but if "Build Access" was granted via the App to a user - This would mean the user can build out their own reports via this "shared dataset".

So lets say user A has the dataset and shared it out with build access to user B. Lets say user B then shares it out to user C

Does user A need to grant "read permissions" to user C in order to see the underlying dataset?

Or does user B grant access to user C - Therefore user A has no clue beyond user B where the dataset is being spread out to?

Helpful resources

Announcements

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors