Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnSc93
Helper I
Helper I

Shared Dataset with RLS/Workspace App

Hi together,

I didn't use shared datasets before so I have some basic issues.

I have the following scenario at my workspace(s):

AnSc93_0-1661754525620.png

1st question: Do I have to set up all my required RLS-roles in the Shared Dataset?

2nd question: Do all the people of the RLS groups see all the reports in the App? (of course with their RLS filters)
Because if I use a dataset for each report then I can exclude the RLS groups from certain Reports and the users can't see anything in this reports. (what is my goal)

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Yes RLS is a property of datasets so that all needs to be configured in workspace 1. 

End users also need direct permissions granting on the datasets (not at workspace level).

Also check that in your tennant settings use datasets across workspaces is enabled.

With regards to your second question. All reports would be visible in the app just some of them would show no data. Microsoft however just put "App Multiple Audiences" into public preview which should help you achieve what you need.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AnSc93
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @bcdobbs ,

thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the end user permission for the dataset you mean this configuration?

AnSc93_0-1661770250812.png

Thank you for your hint regarding "App Multiple Audiences"! This will really help.
But until we can use it in our organization, all app users would see all the reports, right? (limited to the RLS filters or can I restrict some reports completely like I can do it now with the specific RLS filter for each dataset?)

Thank you and regards,
Andreas

Yes until you implemented that you're right they would see all reports.

The screen you've sent control RLS on the dataset. You also need to grant either read or build direct to the dataset itself (assuming app users don't have access directly to workspaces). I'll send a screen shot later if you need.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @bcdobbs ,

thanks again for your answer.

You mean this view here right:

AnSc93_0-1661847126764.png

Yea that's the one!

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Yes RLS is a property of datasets so that all needs to be configured in workspace 1. 

End users also need direct permissions granting on the datasets (not at workspace level).

Also check that in your tennant settings use datasets across workspaces is enabled.

With regards to your second question. All reports would be visible in the app just some of them would show no data. Microsoft however just put "App Multiple Audiences" into public preview which should help you achieve what you need.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors