Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shared Dataset and Permissions

Hello, 

I am looking for a little clarification on the Microsoft documentation of the Power BI service linked here. Specifically I am curious about this description of datasets...

Power BI introduced Build permission in June 2019 as a complement to the existing permissions, Read and Reshare. All users who already had Read permission for datasets via app permissions, sharing, or workspace access at that time also got Build permission for those same datasets. They got Build permission automatically because Read permission already granted them the right to build new content on top of the dataset, by using Analyze in Excel or Export.

Does this mean a user who has viewer access to workspace, but the report is set to NOT export the data to the user, can analyze the data in Excel and potentially alter/overwrite the dataset?

I am trying limit/lock changes to the dataset with exception of creating new reports of the existing dataset.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In all cases a user cannot overwrite or insert any data into a dataset.

What the above meant is that a user could build another Power BI Report and dashboard off the dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In all cases a user cannot overwrite or insert any data into a dataset.

What the above meant is that a user could build another Power BI Report and dashboard off the dataset.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for helping me understand. My next inquiry follows off what you said. "In all cases a user cannot overwrite or insert any data into a dataset."

Is there a way to restrict the ability to alter/change/overwrite a dataset from the Power BI Desktop one has workspace access to? I know now that viewer access to the workspace will prevent that but how about the contributor or member roles?

Hi there

Unfortunately even the Member and Contributor roles allow users to publish datasets to the app workspace.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors