Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kennytgw
Frequent Visitor

Shared App Workspace with external guest but they're unable to install the App

Hi all, 

Would like to get some help from this scenario: 

My account "owner.com"

External guest "external.com"

I've created an App workspace to share reports with my clients (external guests with their own email domain) 

On my end, I've already added the external guests to my Active Directory through Azure portal. 

However, after publishing of the App workspace, my external guest is unable to find the app from the store. 

I've also enabled the option of "Automatically Install App" from my end, but still it doesnt show up on my guest's account. 

If I were to share the url link to my guest, they can view the App Workspace, however, that is the one and only way they can view the App. 

If they're to leave this page to the main page (i.e. app.powerbi.com) , they will not be able to access back to the App unless explicitly clicking on the shared link again. 

This does not seemed to be the correct behaviour from the documentations I read ... Any kind souls can advise me on this? Thank you .. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

That is the way it currently works.

Due to the user actually signing into your Power BI Tenant, there is currently no way for the user to be able to view it from Shared with me or via their Apps.

You can actually click on the top right hand side, if you have shared more than one app, which they will be able to see.

With the above being said, as it currently stands they will have to bookmark the URL

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

That is the way it currently works.

Due to the user actually signing into your Power BI Tenant, there is currently no way for the user to be able to view it from Shared with me or via their Apps.

You can actually click on the top right hand side, if you have shared more than one app, which they will be able to see.

With the above being said, as it currently stands they will have to bookmark the URL

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Unfortunately having them bookmark the URL as it is when they arrive at the dashboard doesn't always work, especially when you have shared with multiple external users from the same organization.  They start sharing the address bar URL amongst themselves for new users and it doesn't work.  They must use the original APP url link and then they get the Review and Accept page to access content from your tenant.  It has been a nightmare for us to make sure everyone is only using the one link.  There is nothing stopping users from copying or favoriting the URL from the browser which changes from the original URL.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors