Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint list and Power Bi

Hello All,

I am nee to 0365 (SharePoint and Power Bi (PB) ).

I have a SharePoint list, which I have connected with power Bi desktop. How can I setup an automatic/ schedule refresh? Do I need to connect power BI online with SharePoint list? If yes, please guide me beacuse my data is not get refreshed (I need to do manually in PB desktop and pubclish to PB online)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Does the report only contain one data source (Sharepoint online list)? If it is, Data source credentials tab should be clickable. 

q9.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What i did to get my dataset to update automatically was i created a flow in power automate. So when my SharePoint list updated the dataset in power BI will also be updated.

Capture6.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

That was a very nice idea! I like it!

Now the "dataset" is updated automatically! If we could find a way to automatically "Refresh" the dashboard as well, then that would be perfect! In that case, the user just goes to the online dashboard and views it without the need to press "Refresh"! Not all users know how it works, so they don't know they should press Refresh!

Any solution?

Update:

I found a work-around to refresh page even at a level of ms! It can be done using Play Axis viz.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyGBZsLxe54

Another Update:

Unfortunately the above method does not work as powerful as a real "Refresh" button! For example, if you have a slicer of names of employees, that does not update with each refresh of Play Axis. So, it is not fully effective.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As you already created a pbix file get data from SharePoint online list in Power BI desktop, you can publish the report to Power BI service.  

Then go to Dataset Settings of this dataset, enter credential for the data source. Now you can turn on schedule refresh: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

q3.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your prompt response. I appreciate that.

I followed the given direction and tried to enter credential but my the field 'Data Source Credential' is grayed out for me. I am not able to click on that field. Please advise and thanks in advance!Error.png

Hi @Anonymous,

Does the report only contain one data source (Sharepoint online list)? If it is, Data source credentials tab should be clickable. 

q9.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

I had 2 data source. One is Excelsheet and another one is SharePoint List. I tried after deleting the Excel sheet as a data source and Yes, I am able to set the Data Source Credential, it's up and running now 🙂

Thank you so much. It was a great catch!

Best,

Chinmay

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors