Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AIwithBI
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint excel Data set Pulling Old Data when import to power bi service( but work fine asworkboo)

Need Help Please

Power BI Service- Im Impporting  Data from Excel file Located in Sharepoint [Get Data-Files-Sharepoint Team sites-Then url] once  import data to power BI service it shows old Data ( , But source and excel file contain never data )

not only that , once i import the excel file to power bi it also auto generate Dashboard.

if i do the Connect as excel work book not the Import it contain uptodate data and also it refresh same time if do any changes to the sharepoint excel work book.( which is good)

1/  How i can Impoprt data set with newer data to excel file located in sharepoint to power bi service and also wanna refresh the visuals once sharepoint excel file get any updates

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AIwithBI ,

According to my test, manual refresh is not effective for reports generated by excel imported from SharePoint. Just as the introduction shown below said :

1.7.4.1.PNG

I also found the basis from the official documentIt can take Power BI up to 60 minutes to refresh a dataset, even once the sync has completed on your local machine and after you've used Refresh now in the Power BI service.

So if you want the newest data imported from excel in ShartPoint, you could adopt @lbendlin 's suggestion——

1. Get data from SharePoint Folder in Power BI Desktop, then publish the report to service.

2. You could click "Refresh Now" option manually or enable Scheduled refresh option after inputing user credentials.

3. Sometimes due to network reasons or the like will cause the refresh delay, you could use the Refresh button in report page of browser or reopen the report to get data quickly.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AIwithBI
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Thanks everyone for support.( resolved)

I didnt realize there was a query connection already set up in excel file in sharepoint. ( so Power Bi was showing old data) Once i refresh the query connection Power bi start refreshing Data , which is really Cool.

( i Completely delete the query connection which setup in excel file located in SharePoint, Bcos power bi Service do a better refresh and connection through Get Data)

Thank you

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AIwithBI ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AIwithBI ,

According to my test, manual refresh is not effective for reports generated by excel imported from SharePoint. Just as the introduction shown below said :

1.7.4.1.PNG

I also found the basis from the official documentIt can take Power BI up to 60 minutes to refresh a dataset, even once the sync has completed on your local machine and after you've used Refresh now in the Power BI service.

So if you want the newest data imported from excel in ShartPoint, you could adopt @lbendlin 's suggestion——

1. Get data from SharePoint Folder in Power BI Desktop, then publish the report to service.

2. You could click "Refresh Now" option manually or enable Scheduled refresh option after inputing user credentials.

3. Sometimes due to network reasons or the like will cause the refresh delay, you could use the Refresh button in report page of browser or reopen the report to get data quickly.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Does it have to be in the service or can you work with Power BI Desktop instead? There you can use the Shareport Folder connector to get to the Excel file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors