Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GJ
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint embed works for non-Pro outside tenant, but not inside tenant

Hello. I find this to be unusual and would love it if someone can help me make sense of it..

A Power BI report embedded on SharePoint is accessible by colleagues who have been given access to the SP site and have their PB Pro license. The reverse is also true in that the report is not accessible ("This content isn't available") by colleagues who don't have Pro. So far so good.

However, when I share (both, SP site and PB report) outside of my tenant, even colleagues without Pro can suddently access the report! Same observation when a report created and shared by someone outside my tenant - a non-Pro user in my tenant was able to access. What's going on here? (loophole?)

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When you share externally from my understanding it checks to see if the user has got a Power BI Pro license in their own tenant. If they do then they can access Pro content.

I think that is what is happening when you are sharing to external people who have got their own Power BI Pro licenses.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GJ
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. My confusion is that even non-Pro users are able to access an embedded report if they are outside of my tenant.

Which is great but I fear it may be a hole that Microsoft will eventually plug.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors