Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint credentials invalid - only in Service

In Power BI Service, my SharePoint credentials suddenly seem to fail when refreshing a dataset, for no apparent reason

• This happens with multiple SharePoint sites
  • I can acccess all the sites directly (I'm an admin for them)
  • I can connect to the sites in Power BI Desktop to create and refresh a dataset connected to an Excel file in SharePoint
  • The invalid credentials issue only appears in Service when I refresh
  • Everything works for colleagues
    • If I follow the same process to create, publish and refresh the dataset under a colleague's login (whether on my device or theirs), it works
    • If I take over the dataset and refresh, I get the invalid credentials error
  • I get the same issue regardless of browser or device being used

It's nothing to do with the Power BI file, Power BI Desktop version or options (e.g. privacy setting), browser, device, or a basic lack of SharePoint access - there's something specific to the way Power BI Service authenticates with SharePoint that is failing

Everything was working until one day last week, then suddenly it's stopped

I've contacted MS but historically have had more success with community support than MS support, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to know - has been two weeks so far struggling with this!

3 REPLIES 3
Anfi1111
Regular Visitor

I have exactly same issue, did you solve it? If yes, please let me know

thanks

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Is there a gateway involved by any chance? I see you mentioned sharepoint so just checking if thats not an on premise one. The kind of error you experience is mostly when a gateway is involved and a user needs to be specifically added to the gateway cluster to be able to use that when he takes the dataset over.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding!

There's no gateway here, simply a connection to a SharePoint folder and then I extract the table from an Excel file

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors