Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JeffreyZhang
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint Web-View of a report in Power Bi Service's app workspace not working for everyone

I am trying to set up a SharePoint web-view of a report in a public app workspace I have created. I thought by making the app 

workspace public, anyone can view the report I published on SharePoint. However, it still says "Content not available" to the person I tried to share with. And when he tried to go straight into the report page in the app workspace, the report just keeps on loading and never shows up. Why is this happening? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JeffreyZhang,

When you embed report in SharePoint site, the end user needs to be grated permission on Power BI service then he can view the report on SharePoint side. For more information, see: Granting access to reports.

In your scenario, you can add a tile from the report to a dashboard, then share the dashboard with that user to grant permission.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@JeffreyZhang Does the end user have a Power BI Pro license?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

They do not, however, they were able to view it once they were added into the office365 group that was created along with it. So I assume licensing shouldnt be the issue. The end goal is not have to add them into the group but they are still able to view the report

bump

@JeffreyZhang From my understanding, you have a Pro license. The end user does not. But when you add them to the Office 365 group, they can see the report in the app workspace of that name? (That's a bug)

They shouldn't be able to see anything, as App Workspace are a Pro feature...

I still think this is a license issue.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978,

It turns out the end user has Pro. My mistake on that portion. On the other hand, do they have to be within the group to see the report? it is quite a hassle to add everyone i want into thegroup to see the report. AND do they also have to do like an initial sign in with power bi service? Thank you so much for your help!

@JeffreyZhang Just to add a final bit here to what @v-qiuyu-msft outlines. With end users, my experiance is that you want them to sign in to Power BI Service prior to sharing anything with them. I'm assuming there needs to be some validation check that needs to occur, that won't, if you share prior to them sigining in.

Thank you both for your help! I will discuss with my team for what to do best.

Hi @JeffreyZhang,

When you embed report in SharePoint site, the end user needs to be grated permission on Power BI service then he can view the report on SharePoint side. For more information, see: Granting access to reports.

In your scenario, you can add a tile from the report to a dashboard, then share the dashboard with that user to grant permission.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors