Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

SharePoint Online list schedule refresh

Hi,

Can anyone point to guidance on whether it is possible to set up a service account with credentials to SharePoint online (Excel and CSV) to allow schedule refresh of a model instead of using an normal O365 user account? If so, does that service account need an O365 licence?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Brian_M ,

Your power bi account is also your O365 account. You can use your power bi account to sign in O365, in addtion, if you have purchase sharepoint online license in your O365 account, you can configure schedule refresh for sharepoint online list in power bi service.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your reply. I'm looking for guidance on the use of service accounts, that's an account not tied to an individual and which isn't susceptible to breaking when a person leaves.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
eskyline
Resolver I
Resolver I

Not sure why this was marked resolved but I have the same question. Basically using individual accounts for setting up refreshes on published reports on the service that connect to SharePoint Online is not ideal. Once the individual changes their password the refreshes then fail.   I have resource accounts with non-expiring passwords that I use for Gateway connections that connect to onPrem resources.    The account is managed by IT and the credentials are only known by me and a few others that setup and maintain the Gateway connections.  I've looked and unfortunatly the Gateway connections do not currently support SharePoint Online.  It would not be ideal if they did anyways as that would be an OnPrem connection when all we really need to do is go cloud to cloud for the refresh.

So.....  Does anyone have a solution other then creating some resource account and providing the credientals to folks creating reports?

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Brian_M ,

Your power bi account is also your O365 account. You can use your power bi account to sign in O365, in addtion, if you have purchase sharepoint online license in your O365 account, you can configure schedule refresh for sharepoint online list in power bi service.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your reply. I'm looking for guidance on the use of service accounts, that's an account not tied to an individual and which isn't susceptible to breaking when a person leaves.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors