Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JillHenninger
Helper I
Helper I

SharePoint Authentication Issues

Hi all

I have a dataset that refreshes nightly and taps into 6 SharePoint based Excelf files and one OData (connected to a SharePoint list). Way more often than not, the dataset won't refresh due to a credentialing issue. 

Error: Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.

Within Data Source Credentials, when I click "Edit Credentials", this is the error:

Failed to update data source credentials: Access Denied. Before opening files in this location, you must first add the web site to your trusted sites list, browse to the web site, and select the option to login automatically. 

But - not possible in Chrome and I can't add specifics sites to the safelist in IE due to company policy (and I can navigate to those sites just fine)

Here is how the site is referenced:

\\mastersite.sharepoint.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\sites\NAME\Shared Documents\General\Folder\File1.xlsx

To try and fix it, I've:

Closed and reopened Chrome (I can't get into PowerBI in IE)

Made sure I'm on VPN

Navigated to the folder in Chrome where those files are stored

Visisted https://myaccount.microsoft.com/ to reauthenticate (I read about that somewhere, I swear it worked last week)

I'm at a loss! Any tips? 

1 REPLY 1
StefanoGrimaldi
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

hey, this happend often around here, try setting the source to the root sharepoint instead of the specific site also you need to include the entire adrees: including the httpl:\\ from the begining. try those 2 part and let us know, 

if this solved your question give some kudos and mark as solution for others to find. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are You Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors