Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JillHenninger
Helper I
Helper I

SharePoint Authentication Issues

Hi all

I have a dataset that refreshes nightly and taps into 6 SharePoint based Excelf files and one OData (connected to a SharePoint list). Way more often than not, the dataset won't refresh due to a credentialing issue. 

Error: Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.

Within Data Source Credentials, when I click "Edit Credentials", this is the error:

Failed to update data source credentials: Access Denied. Before opening files in this location, you must first add the web site to your trusted sites list, browse to the web site, and select the option to login automatically. 

But - not possible in Chrome and I can't add specifics sites to the safelist in IE due to company policy (and I can navigate to those sites just fine)

Here is how the site is referenced:

\\mastersite.sharepoint.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\sites\NAME\Shared Documents\General\Folder\File1.xlsx

To try and fix it, I've:

Closed and reopened Chrome (I can't get into PowerBI in IE)

Made sure I'm on VPN

Navigated to the folder in Chrome where those files are stored

Visisted https://myaccount.microsoft.com/ to reauthenticate (I read about that somewhere, I swear it worked last week)

I'm at a loss! Any tips? 

6 REPLIES 6
cmorin
Regular Visitor

Hi, I think I resolved the issue. At least in my case, I disabled some features:

File - Options and Settings - Options - Preview Features: I disabled them all.  The problem disappeared for me (at this time). 

Hope this helps!

AlonaOnline
Frequent Visitor

I found a solution by adding a correct URL to the Sharepoint document - Open the Document in the Desktop Ap -> Information -> Copy path ( I am not sure about wording, since I am using a German Version) You need to copy only a part of the path, for me it looks like https://companyxy.sharepoint.com/sites/XXX/ 

and when you connect the source you need to make sure that no Gateway is selected and your authentification is set to organisation

AlonaOnline_2-1659078283997.png

AlonaOnline
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I have an alike issue with a sharepoint Document. It is added as a dataflow. Everything was fine until yeasterday, and suddenly the data does not upload. I tried to open dataflow in cloud and login with my organisation account. Unfortunately, it tells - unexpected error and try again later.  

AlonaOnline_0-1655284542675.png

What I tried so far: delete and installed gateway again, tried to update data through the desktop variant.

I am clueless. 

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hey, this happend often around here, try setting the source to the root sharepoint instead of the specific site also you need to include the entire adrees: including the httpl:\\ from the begining. try those 2 part and let us know, 

if this solved your question give some kudos and mark as solution for others to find. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having same issue regarding this. Does it have any solution?

What finally worked for me was going to Transform Data, and changing the source of the query from:

= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("\\sharepoint.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\sitespath\excelfile.xlsx"), null, true)

to:

= Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://sharepointsite.com/sitepath/filepath/excelfile.xlsx"), null, true)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors