Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Helenaoliveira
Frequent Visitor

ShareDatasets between different workspace

Hi,

It's is possible share datasets between different workspace?

In my organization we need to share the same datasets with different groups of developers.

Create and share a content pack it’s not a solution: the users can may a copy of content pack and then do their reports however the information presents in datasets will not update (there is a dataset with gateway connection and update daily and we pretend share this datasets)

Create a app workspace it’s a possible solution found however we can’t control who create or modify the existing reports.

For example, we have sales department, logistics department and production department, the reports create by developers of sales department could be seen by logistics department or production department, but these departments could not modify the report.

On the other hand, developer of logistics department would create their own reports about the same datasets.

How I can do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Helenaoliveira Yes you would need to replicate the dataset in each workspace. The only way you can centralize a dataset would be to use Analysis Services. You would still need to deploy to each workspace, but any changes could be managed via the central model and deployment to the model would automatically make it's way downstream to all the datasets.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ybermond

Hello, 

I will upload a dataset with a lot of data and I don't want users to copy it in there own dataset. 

I figure out than when a dataset is copy in the My workspace, i can't have any metrics on it. Also I want to know each users of my dataset. 

Do I have any option for that ? 

Thanks in advance. 

@Helenaoliveira You would have to deploy the dataset to each workspace as you suggest.

In the workspace, you can have different types of members. Those that can only "read" and those that can edit. So if you need to have cross-department access but different levels of permissions you can set that on each App workspace. Based on your description, this should work.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer thanks for your response but if I create different workspace I will have the same datasets repeated in different workspaces. It makes sense has the same repeated in different workspace?

In my case, the datasets is the sales map with daily update, if I create different workspaces, I will have the datasets salesmap repeated with the respective update.

@Helenaoliveira Yes you would need to replicate the dataset in each workspace. The only way you can centralize a dataset would be to use Analysis Services. You would still need to deploy to each workspace, but any changes could be managed via the central model and deployment to the model would automatically make it's way downstream to all the datasets.

@Seth_C_Bauer but it does not make sense to replicate the dataset in each workspace. If I replicate the dataset in several workspace and schedule daily refresh I will overload the system with these daily updates, right?

@Helenaoliveira "It depends" - Are you talking about using imported datasets? How large are they, how long do they take to process? Or are you talking about the SSAS solution? In live connection, the dataset is just a passthrough, there is no data stored in the Service. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer I have a similar problem.
We are trying to connect to datamarts and create a centralized dataset that can be used by various workspaces. How can we do that?
you mentioned we need to take the centralized dataset and replicate that dataset in all the workspaces (if different workspaces are planning to use the centralized dataset). These workspaces will use a subset of the centralized dataset. 
Q. Are the subset datasets simply pointers to the centralized dataset or are the replicated copies of the entire dataset.
Q, Can the individual datasets (the datasets used in different workspaces) be locked down as per the permissions?

@Anonymous Keep in mind that post was over a year ago. I have much better advice now 🙂 In the public roadmap there is a new feature called "Shared and Certified Datasets" - this would be the solution you are looking for. I would potentially wait for a bit to see if this drops soon. Documentation of the future feature can be found here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/April19/business-intelligence/power-bi-service/shared-certified-datasets

public roadmap here -> https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/roadmap/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors