Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Share reports with external user outside our organization

Hi,

Despite that there are many document explaining how to share PBI reports with external users (outside our organization) I still have issues implementing this service. Below you will find the steps I took to share our reports.

1) I added a new user through Azure Active Directory.

2) In the Microsoft 365 admin center i can see that the new user has an email address like (abcde#EXT#@abcde.onmicrosoft.com). 

3) In the microsoft 365 admin center i gave the new user a Power BI Pro license.

4) In Power BI i opend the Dashboard and Shared it with the new user

5) In Power BI i granted the user Access for the specific workspace

6) The user gets an email with a link: "..... has shared Power BI Report ..."

So far so good, but not the problem starts.

When the user clicks on the link in the email which was send (half way the process) the user needs to create a new Microsoft account. Reason for this is that the user cant use his own organization account. When the new Microsoft account is created the user gets the next error message.

The work or school account that you specified does not have access to this app. You may have to log in with a different account. Contact your IT administrator for assistance.

No matter what I try (deleted the new account and create a new one) I get the same error message.  

In  one of the articles I read is that the issue good be related to Intune ? if that’s the case what do I need to do here ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gr, Peter

Ps all our staff members can view the dashboard without any problem

2 REPLIES 2
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, after inviting the external user, make sure that he/she has accepted this invitation.

Then you can publish your workspace as an app and share the report/dashboard/app link with the external users.

If you only want to share dashboard with them, you donot need to add them to your Azure AD and you can directly share the dashboard with them.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

For #1, did you add the user as a guest user? If so the user should have received an email invitation where they need to select the "Get Started" link in the email to actually be added

You didn't need to do #5 if you just want to share a report with them

There is also a Power BI admin portal, in the tenant settings, you need to enable "Share content with external users".  This I'll assume you did, since you were able to share

In the Azure portal, make sure they accepted the invitation

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors