Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FrancescoSCP
Helper III
Helper III

Share report with RLS to free user

Hi all,

i've created a simple report with RLS, so that every user can see only thei own data. If i share the report to some Pro users inside our organization, everything works well. I have to share that report also to some free user (inside the organization) with the RLS applied. When they open the report from the "shared with me" section a pop up will appear to pass to the pro version.

What am i doing wrong? Is it possibile to share a report to a free user inside the same organizazion with the RLS applied?

Thanks, 

Francesco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @FrancescoSCP ,

I don't believe that you can share with a non-Pro license user (unless you have Premium).

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @FrancescoSCP ,

For a user to see a report they have to have a license (or be in the Pro free trial license).  Second, if you have RLS established, you need to put that user into the correct place so that they can see what you want them to see.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi, thanks for the reply.

RLS is configured properly because i've tested it with some Pro users. But now i have to share the same report to a free user (that has a free Power BI Licence) with the RLS applied. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Hey @FrancescoSCP ,

I don't believe that you can share with a non-Pro license user (unless you have Premium).

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I created a report on PBI Desktop, published it to PBI Services. Data is connected via personal gateway. When I tried to create a subscription it asked to upgrade for premium capacity. (Please note, I have a few RLS enabled as well)

I have upgraded only my account to Premium capacity. But even after that, when I try to create a subscription, it says as below: 

Free users or groups can only be subscribed to reports or dashboards backed by Premium capacity.

Although I subscribed as premium capacity user, why this error is coming again? Please help.

Share content with Premium per user license Subscription on Report with Multi Value Parameter not working in Portal V2 

Is there any way to share some reports to free users? They have only to see some data and apply a filter, they don't need any other Power BI functionality like subscriptions, bookmarks or anything else.

Our customer will not buy pro licences for every free user that open the report few times a month. Any workaround?

The premium capacity will cost around 5000$ per month, that's too expensive.

Thanks,

Francesco

HI @FrancescoSCP ,

You can explore the Publish to Web options.  These will allow you to share.  But, not share with RLS.

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors