Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amalm
Helper III
Helper III

Share report and have on-demand refresh?

Hi, 

I want to share a report with my clients who will view it on the Power BI website or the Windows app (the light one, not the editor application). 

The data is realtime and I want to give them the option to refresh the data whenever they want.

Is this possible? Right now I'm on a pro plan. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @amalm 

You can almost achieve "real-time" , if your data source support DirectQuery or Connect Live.Power BI does not import the data, you don't need to run a data refresh.Each time when you  interact with visuals, data will be updated. 

In addition ,you can consider  Real-time steaming in powerbi.

Power BI with real-time streaming lets you stream data and update dashboards in real time. Any visual or dashboard created in Power BI can display and update real-time data and visuals.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @amalm 

You can almost achieve "real-time" , if your data source support DirectQuery or Connect Live.Power BI does not import the data, you don't need to run a data refresh.Each time when you  interact with visuals, data will be updated. 

In addition ,you can consider  Real-time steaming in powerbi.

Power BI with real-time streaming lets you stream data and update dashboards in real time. Any visual or dashboard created in Power BI can display and update real-time data and visuals.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Thanks @v-easonf-msft for the reply.

But most of my data is through HTTP APIs from a custom application. I understand that DirectQuery or Connect Live don't support API sources? What's the best way to get refreshes on demand?

If I build a basic dashboard in Excel PowerQuery/ PowerPivot, I'm able to refresh it on demand. I wish I could do this with Power BI apps as well. 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @amalm ,

You can share a report with external users that have a Pro License.  And, they will view it on the URL.  Depending on the permissions that you give them depends on what they can do and which level (app, workspace, dashboard, report, dataset) they can see.  This is how you share:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards

As for refreshing, if you have realtime data then by definition you wont need manual refresh.  if you want them to refresh at will, that can be part of the sharing as outlined in the article above.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors