Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vegard1985
Helper I
Helper I

Share app and workspace with external user, no data?

Hi,

We're currently in need of sharing some content with an external party.

Need to fix two scenarios:

1. External guest user gets access to an app

2. External guest user gets access to a workspace with edit rights

We have followed the MS documentation on Azure B2B for planned invites ( Azure B2B Planned Invites ). I've created a security group and added a test-person to this group. As for licensing, the guest users will bring their own Pro license. As a Power BI tenant admin, I've also enabled the option "Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization " for this security group.

I've published a dummy app from a dummy workspace to test things. When I added the security group to the app access list, the test user was able to login, we saw that the Pro license was functioning from that persons own organization, but when opening the app, visuals was missing data. "Couldn't load the data for this visual".

The two dummy reports in this workspace is however mostly based on a dataset from another workspace. But I also went to this other workspace, and added a view permission for the security group on the dataset that was used. Still no data is visible.

Could anyone please help out in how we should set up this properly?

So in short:

We want to share apps and workspaces with datasets from other workspaces, with external guests who bring their own Pro license. On which objects do we need to maintain an access for these users?

Currently I'm trying this:

Security Group has "Viewer" access to workspace A

Security Group has "Read" access to dataset in workspace B

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did create a ticket to get this solved, and the solution was simple.

For external users to be able to get data from a composite model, they need to be set with a permission level of at least "Member".

As this happened on a call, I'm not a 100% sure if this actually was the case, but I believe it was said that for composite models to work from different workspaces, a user needs to have the same type of access on both workspaces as well. "Member" and "Member" is fine, "Member" and "Admin" could mess up. Again, not totally sure if I understood that point correctly, but it was repeated to set the level to the same.

So end of my story was:

I created a central workspace for any current and future datasets we might use in composite models, added the external users as "Member" of this workspace.

I then put the permission level to "Member" in the "app"/"report" workspace, and they could see data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Vegard1985 Are you using RLS?

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I did create a ticket to get this solved, and the solution was simple.

For external users to be able to get data from a composite model, they need to be set with a permission level of at least "Member".

As this happened on a call, I'm not a 100% sure if this actually was the case, but I believe it was said that for composite models to work from different workspaces, a user needs to have the same type of access on both workspaces as well. "Member" and "Member" is fine, "Member" and "Admin" could mess up. Again, not totally sure if I understood that point correctly, but it was repeated to set the level to the same.

So end of my story was:

I created a central workspace for any current and future datasets we might use in composite models, added the external users as "Member" of this workspace.

I then put the permission level to "Member" in the "app"/"report" workspace, and they could see data.

No, RLS is not in use (yet).

Thanks, I'll try to open a ticket if noone has some ideas to try out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors