Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sugra
Helper I
Helper I

Share a report from My Workspace

Hello, 

On Power BI Premium node, can a user with the Viewer role, share a report from My workspace without a Pro license? Currently they get the download Pro message when they try.

Based on my research there seems to be a way to accomplish this by granting them the "Reshare" or "Build" permission. I haven't been able to find the instructions on this as yet? Does anyone know how to do this?

If not, can this be accomplished with a higher role ( without the Pro license)?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @sugra ,

A user with Viewer role in a Premium workspace does not need a Pro License to see the workspace/reports shared with them.   As it stands right now, only Members and Admins can share/reshare (based on permissions within the tenant and the share type that was shared with them.)

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You should not share "My Workspace".  Instead, create a premium workspace (identifiable by the diamond), publish the app from that workspace, and share the app. This will allow any users  in your org (that you gave access to) to get to the app, without requiring a Pro license.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @sugra ,

A user with Viewer role in a Premium workspace does not need a Pro License to see the workspace/reports shared with them.   As it stands right now, only Members and Admins can share/reshare (based on permissions within the tenant and the share type that was shared with them.)

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks! 

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@sugra,

Let's get things straight first:
- the Viewer role is assigned to a user in a workspace (so this can't be used in My Workspace)
- sharing from My Workspace is not a best practice and thus not recommended

Having said that, Viewers can only view and interact with items in a workspace, not reshare them. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-...).
Sharing from a workspace requires a pro license unfortunately.

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors